Boating on the Mississippi River

Discussion in 'MISSISSIPPI RIVERS TALK' started by ChrisC.729, May 12, 2008.

1. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can anyone give me any websites., tips, etc.. on boating in the river?
    I will be getting a boat soon. I need to know. Its been a while since ive done
    that kind of stuff.

2. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Chris, there are several guys on here that can give you some good advise. What size boat are you getting? When you get it, your more than welcome to follow me and I'll try and help as much as possible. I havent been fishing the river very long, but have been running a fishing boat of some kind for about 30yrs now. Go look under the boating section and there is some good info, also check out the archives section. Just remember that never.......never get laxed and let your gaurd down.....check your equipment and check it again!!!I still do some things that I know better, and wonder later why??????????:embarassed:Be Careful and have a good time!

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    fist thing keep your life jacket on second get a anchor at least 100 foot of rope and atleast 25lbs keep the end tied off to keep from losing it becareful rite now you should wait till the water dropes real low the you can find the getties the good way keep a cell phone with you for saftey make sure its charged keep a lil extra gas a galon at least nothing worst than setting in the river trying to flag some one down for help next stay away from the barges especially behind them this is not a good place to be when they come by stay behind jetties for 30 minutes and let the water calm down some and next dont drink and drive your boat well thats all for me next person can give there input thks and be carefull and happy fishing :roll_eyes:

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I second everything richard says. especially about drinking. I'm a drinker, and I drink on my boat around home in lakes and our small rivers. but, when your in a big river, you better pay attention at all times. and being just a little buzzed will cost you your life in a hurry. I often even sleep on my boat around home. but in a big river, if i get tired and start to nod a little. I'm pullin up anchor and going home. The last thing you'd need is to nod off for a second and wake up to a tree climbing your anchor line and pushing the bow of your boat under water. It takes all of a second and a half for it to get really dangerous. and never use more than one anchor. let the current pull the boat downstream away from the anchor in front of the boat. We tend to use more than one anchor in eddies around home. I did that once in a big river and like i said it took about a half of a second to learn a valuable lesson. I almost lost my boat, and possibly my life. Just be careful and keep your eyes open !

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    BIG RIVER NEEDS BIG BOAT IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THEN SORRY, THEM BARGES WILL SINK YOU IN A HART BEAT SO BE REAL CAREFUL AND WARE YOU PFD AT ALL TIMES OLD MAN RIVER DOES NOT FORGIVE VERY EASY