Boating on the Big MO.?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by knmfish, Sep 15, 2006.

1. knmfish

knmfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a 16' bass tracker the bottom is 48" the top is wider the depth 20". My question is is this big enough for the Missouri and safe enough. Wife Wont go unless I find out I'm in a wheelchair she is to take me.

2. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    kenny the boat is safe enough, but if its your first time on the mo, i would have someone that is experienced with the river take you out a few times to help you with channels,dikes and safe river driving.

3. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My boat is the same size, I go on the river all of the time....take todds advise and go with someone to show you the proper way to run the river! The river can be dangerous if you don't know how to run it!

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Assuming you have enough H.P. behind it, the boat should be safe enough , but like the others have said, there are lots , I mean LOTS of hazards out there on the Mo. If you are able to go out with someone experienced like the others said then by all means do so. If for some reason you can't then just be very careful , go slow, stay away from all water that looks rough or choppy, or just different than the rest. It means there is something under there that could mess you up, rocks , trees, sandbars, etc. Take time to study the wing dikes, sandbars and other things you see and the water around them to get an understanding of their workings. After a time you will be able to recognize these things even when they are below the surface just by seeing the effects that they have on the water that runs over , around and through them,this is important stuff to know and understand . Might just save your life someday.
    Big rivers are not something you can learn in a trip or two so plan on spending a season just taking your time and getting a feel for things , and most importantly. wear your life jackets.Have fun and be careful.
    --

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The Missouri River is a beautiful beast,I find her very relaxingBUT I shore fish.
    I would not personally try to tackle her with out an expeirenced boat person. the most important thing is to always do everything in your power to stay safe.She is like a rattlesnake that is picked up by the tail,she will turn and bite you,so I would strongly reccommend that you have someone with you that REALLY knows the river and knows how to navigate her. Stay safe and Have lots of safe fun.--------------pk powell:smile2:

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The boat is big enough. I would suggest getting a navigation book from the corps of engineers. That way you know what all the different signs and bouys mean. Remember RED Right,Green Left when going up river.

7. knmfish

knmfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been on the MO before with other friends but never in my own boat and that was a few years ago. Thank you for making my wife feel better.

8. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    The boat is just fine. We had never been on the river before and to us it was fairly easy to learn. Just be sure to watch those dykes and like all things in life use common sense and you will be fine. However since you said you were in a wheel chair you wear a life jacket and have some one capable of helping you should you get in trouble.