Boating in LOZ

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fat_fish55, May 24, 2006.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey now that its warmin up im sure the big boats are out in force on LOZ. wondering what kind of boats you guys fish out of and how you avoid being swamped by them boats during the summer. :)

2. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    KC, I avoid the lower lake area except weekdays. I doubt I go down there at all until September even though one of the locals has been doing real well down there. The upper LOZ or Truman is much safer on even a bad day. See ya on the water!

3. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have to second Big Magics' philosophy: they can't hurt me if I stay away from there. I have an 18 foot Ranger. It's too rough on the lower lake for me. I had waves over the bow of the boat at 3 AM, on a calm night while we were fishing a point. Even during the week, between Memorial Day and Labor Day I try to stay out of the lower 20 miles of lake, especially during the day. A boat a lot bigger than mine got swamped and sank last summer, and one lady didn't make it out of the sinking boat.

4. CATCANDO

CATCANDO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a place on the 13mm I got up everyday this weekend and fished from about 5:30 intill 9. I was fishing the cliff's in the channel so i took lots of wave action. One morning there was a 35 foot cruiser pulling a skier at about 6am that was a ton of fun. I have a 20ft seaark and it does take the waves pretty good.

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    We are on the 5MM and have a 23' Hurricane Deck boat and so far it has been great in the waves. We have had a lot of big boats go by us close and so far it just rocks and rolls but has never come even close to being a problem. Saturday the boys rode the tube thing from way back in the Gravois Arm to our place on the Lick Branch Cove and had no problem and they were moving fast and doing a lot of turning trying to throw each other off. Saturday morning while we were fishing some A-hole in a huge double-decker boat had to go by us at 30+ MPH and was only about 50 feet away and the boat did fine, I think I hurt my hand trying to reel in fast enough to throw out at him but didn't make it he was moving so fast. Would of loved to have taken a little paint and fiberglass off that boat with a 2 ounce sinker and would of been better if he had turned around and come back. Thinking back on that you know there weren't but a couple boats out that early in the morning so there was no reason for the guy to come that close to us. Several boats would be running fast and then slowed and veered off when they got in our area to give us room. We acknowledge their kindness with a wave and talked about how some people just are... well... A-holes, nuff said.

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Even on shore I have some problems with boats, though more often with those "personal watercraft". I had one pass by at full speed about 15 foot from me as I was fishing from shore on Sunday.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    My uncle has a place way down the Glaize Arm and He has a 22' boat and doesnt even bother going out on the water on the weekends unless it's really early. A lot of people on that lake have no business being on the water.

8. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When your fishing down in that area You want to make sure everyone with you gets their fishing license BEFORE they start fishing too.lol! :wink: :big_smile:

9. CATCANDO

CATCANDO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know what you mean everyone in my boat got checked saturday.

10. hunter_x

hunter_x New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Be careful out there we used to have a place on the lake (in Lick Branch cove beeheck we might of been neighbors). Every holiday weekend at there would be at least one fatal accident. Night fishing is the rule after memorial day and even that is not recommended for smaller boats.

Also have seen that common sense among the boating public at large is mostly uncommon......

11. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hahahh crispy i guess you heard about yeehaw

12. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    Yea,he told me about his experience over there.lol! That was a case of bad timing I would say.I feel for him but that is My kind of luck.

13. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Hey Critter...your face fell off again Brother!....LOL:eek:oooh:

14. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    Yea,but due to all the fuss over avatars lately I figured having none would be better than not having the right one.:roll_eyes:

BTW mine wasn't removed by staff I just opted out on my own.