Boating Horror Stories

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by N2Ducks, Feb 15, 2006.

1. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a buddy I go hunting with who fell off the front end of a john boat when they hit a trot-line and got run-over by the boat. He sunk 15 feet to the bottom and they only way that they could find him was to follow the fishing line that accidentally got hooked to him when he was thrown off. He had to spend a couple of weeks in ICU and then months of therapy to help him regain lung capacity.

I am interested in hearing the stories the rest of the BOC has.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    3 of us were in a 16' star craft on the ohio river when the wind got up 45 to 60 mph blowin up river we crossed this. the waves were so hi that 4 different times you couldnt see the bank on either side i told the driver a freind of mine to stay on top of the waves for fear of being washed we rode one wave with only the back half of the boat my half was completely out of the water all the way across the river diagonaly keeping the boat at the same speed as the wave wasnt easy when we reached the other side we had to run into the waves down stream for 1mile to dock it took 2hrs to get there water came in the back of the boat 5 times the nose was in the air most of the time do to the up lift of the river ive never seen waves on the river like that before and hope i never see them again if i had to do it again i would have waited out the wind tied to the wrong shoreline ...always wear a life vest when the boat is in motion and never get on the water in high winds

3. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    if you want to hear mine it's tiltled gas, in the thread option thing, butthose first two stories must have sucked huh?

4. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    I got caught on the Mexico side of Falcon lake once in a big storm. Was bass fishing early am (daylight & lake was like glass) when I looked behind me all I saw was a "black wall" moving towards me! By the time I could pull the trolling motor up and fire up the outboard the waves were 6' +. I had to run across lake for about 1/2 mile to get to leeward side of land to get out of storm. (where I was fishing was all rock and did not want to get blown into that!). Ended up spending 8 hrs on shore waiting for storm to blow it's self out. Finally ended up crossing lake in 3-5' waves by "riding" the waves until I got back to boat launch. Then learned that all my buddies in the same turnament had been out "looking" for me scared to death. Here I was sitting on bank near a fire & trying to stay warm while they were out risking their lives looking for me. THAT SCARED ME EVEN MORE! Later found out that a "freak" storm & small tornado had passed though the area we were fishing!

Frank

5. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Not exactly a horror story, but.

Was fishing in a 14 foot jon boat, trolling motor only, when black clouds came rolling in, wind started picking up. Headed for truck, hugging shoreline, hoping to beat the storm - did not make it - hail started. Ran the boat up on shore, turned it over and got under it. 1 1/2 to 2 inch hail stones dinged the bottom of the boat pretty good, but better the boat than my head. Noise was deafening. Maybe thats why I don't hear so well now or it could simply be age.

6. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I Got Caught On The Mississippi River On A Strong South Wind In A 16 Ft. Flatbottom. We Had A Mile To Run South In Three To Four Foot Waves. Scared Me To Death. I Have Been On Lake Michigan In My Dad's 18 Ft. Lund In Six Footer. That Didn't Bother Me. We Would Drop Down In The Swells And The World Would Dissapear. But The Little Jon Boat Was Deffinatly Scary. I Got An 18 Foot All-weld Now. I Can Handle A Little Rougher Water. But I Still Avoid The River On A South Wind.

7. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    got a good friend was out with his son, trying to fish below a wingdam. they were in a major chute, just off the mississippi river. he tried to anchor parallel to the dam. he thru out the bow anchor, then the stern anchor. the current was really whipping thru there. the bow anchor did'nt catch, but the stern anchor locked right up in the rocks. the current pulled the transom under and the boat went down like a rock. he barely had time to throw his kid a life jacket. they drifted a quarter mile till they could get over to the island. they were stuck there wet and cold for 5 hours till another boat came by. i am partly to blame because he had fished in my boat several times and seen me anchor like that. it was always in much calmer water where i did it. it was the second time he had taken his boat out himself and lost everything but a cooler and 1 gas tank.

catwacker

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Count me lucky, no stories so far, and I thank God for that. I hope I never have one to tell.

One thing can be learned from reading these stories, and I read everyone of them, the water is unforgiving. There is no "time-out", "stop playing," or "wait, let me think." It is a slippery sliding slope that just gets worse and worse and more unrecoverable the further along it goes.

I can be manic sometimes about boating safety. I give a safety briefing to people when they ride on my boat telling them where life jackets, fire extinguishers, and sounding devices are. I have two fire extinguishers; one at the wheel and one at the front away from the engine and gas. I check the weather everyday before I head out and I had a weather radar feature added to my cell phone. I actually rehearse scenarios in my head for different problems while on the water.

The bottom line is that if you are not mentally prepared for every situation, then you will find yourself on that slippery sliding slope with a few seconds on the clock and no time outs.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will be taking my new jonboat on the river soon..I am not an experinced boater, you guys have me kinda worried...geez

10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Jack, like with everything else in life, common sense prevails. Don't let your excitement get the best of you: make a safety-checklist for yourself & always take the time to follow it. And if there's something that you don't know or are unsure of, ask!

11. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    yep jack like patmansc said its commen sense and remember the only dumb question is the one you dont ask.

12. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    my dad and i were at lay dam in alabama once. we were catching shad for bait. an older man came up by himself and tried to catch bait but kept getting washed away from the dam. he decided to tie off to the dam. just a few minutes later the warning bell sounded the turbines were coming on. in his haste to untie from the dam the old man fell overboard. several other boats went to help him and he was pulled out safe. someone cut the rope holding his boat to the dam but before they could get it pulled away from the dam the water came on. his boat sat there smashing against the dam for a long time then shot down stream. it had a lot of damage and the man was thoroughly shaken but thank goodness no one drowned.

13. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The biggest waves I have seen on Clinton Lake is 2 foot. This was too big for me and the jolting that I took made me stiff and sore for a week. My boat handled it but the body didn't. Its not easy getting it on the trailer in that wind also. I can't immagin the 6 ft waves.

14. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was fishing a real tough current area once where there's a lot of great deadfall and great Cats, Carp, and Smallmouth. I got all anchored up and the fishing was great. When we got ready to leave the anchor got stuck. Stupid me wanted that anchor so I drew the boat back up to the anchor (BTW, it was off the stern) and pulled like mad to get it back. My buddy came back to help me and the combination of deep water, fast, current, a tight line, and roughly 375lbs. in the back of a 14' boat took the boat right under. We started taking on water but quick. I cut the line and said enough is enough.

It all worked out alright, but I really miss that anchor.

Since then I play it conservative. If my heart starts to jump a beat or I feel the least bit uncomfortable, that's the sign to stop whatever I was thinking about doing and head for the nice quiet cove where the fishing is "O.K.", but at least I know I'll be back.

The thing I always keep in mind is this:
    If I become unconscience from a car crash, I'm on land: If I become unconscience from a boating accident, I'm dead.

15. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Boy, I guess I have been lucky. Never had anything near like these stories happen to me yet. Been caught out in a few storms but nothing like that. Someone must have been watching over you guys.
    Mike

16. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    A few of my friends and myself were fishing on the missouri river two years ago and were headed upstream at about 1 in the morning. We had just passed up a dredge a few minutes before when the motor just up and died, the achors we had were unable to hold us in the current at all and we were quickly floating downstream towards the dredge. Luckily one of my buddies noticed that the plastic gas tank that we were using was collapsed, Dumb me forgot to open the vent. Luckily we got the motor started about 10 feet before we hit the dredge.

17. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This was just a horror story for me. Nothing like what you guys had. Just bought a new Triton fish and ski. Had some water standing in the floor storage area. Thought I would be smart and drill a few holes through what I thought was an insert. Drilled about 12 holes through the hull. The real horror happened when I told my wife what I did!!!!!!!!!!! Somebody help me please!!!!!!!!!!!

18. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Only really close call was my own fault. In Ouachita river in Monroe a few years back in FAST current. decided I wanted to anchor down and dropped anchor over side trying to get it to catch on something. was holding with hands till it caught and then it litterally burned the rest of the rope thru my hands and barely got it untangled from my boot. All it ended up costing me was a new anchor and rope and alot of pride.

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Had fished the Chesapeake Bay for quite a while during daylignt hours. Got a report that the speckled trout was hitting at night off the Ft Monroe Pier. So, here I go... running at about 3/4 speed and hit a darn railroad tie floating in the water...scared the pants off me... was fortunate I slowed down cause when I rounded the point at Ft Monroe there was nothing in front of me but waves 16 to 20 tall (at least I had to look up to see the tops of them suckers). New I couldn't turn around so I thought the best course of action was to hide beind on of the islands for the Hampton Road bridge. Took me forever and 1 day to get there... stayed until 4 AM... noticed the waves were not hitting the island as hard... poked the nose out and it was almost mirror smooth. Got outa there like the well know bat out of ........ How was I to know a hurricane was battering N. Carolina coast the same night I wanted to fish. Got me checking the weather, though.