Boating Etiquette

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Mpayne, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Mpayne

Mpayne New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Maybe it’s just me, but it seems that every time I’m out on the lake and anchored, a boat will come by at full throttle very close to my boat. I try to wave them off, but they look at me like I have 6 heads. When I’m moving up or down the lake I do everything I can to avoid boats drift fishing, or anchored. I realize that the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line, but does someone really have to get down the lake so fast that they can’t swing wide of other fisherman? If I can’t swing wide due to other boats, or being in a narrow channel, I will slow down to reduce the wake my boat leaves. This really frustrates me and I hope we will all be more considerate of our fellow fishermen. No one gets more excited about going fishing that I do, but I never want my fishing to have a negative impact on someone else’s fishing trip, especially when it’s avoidable. Is this happening to anyone else?

Thanks for letting me vent……….

2. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    This happens all the time, people like that shouldn't be allowed to be in a boat. It happens to me all the time on the neuse river. It seems like I do everything I can, slow down to no wake, and putt by them. Then later on when I am fishing the same people that I went slow by comes flying down the river. I remember boats that are up through there and they arent very big, so hopefully next time I see them fishing I dont give them a nice 3-4 foot wave when the motor trimmed way up and me going slow by them.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    This is the reason that I feel everyone should have a boating license much like a drivers license. Oh wait, a drivers license doesn't help keep idiots off the road.

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have had much the same experience. Or I have PWC that hound me and have had to turn hard to avoid several who just headed into my path. Here there is a law that all water craft must stay 100' away while in motion. No one pays attention till someone gets hurt. Jetskiers have always loved to pick on fisherman and waterskiers are not much better. I have seen the warden give out tickets, but seldom. I get their reg # and report them when I return to the dock. I have no idea if it helps, but I feel some better. I have seen what happens when a prop meets the human body and never want to see it again.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    to be honest i dont think it does any good i have had rangers say and wo what do you want me to do about it. thing is most bass boats leave a bigger wake at slower speeds with mine at wot there is hardly any wake at all. get me going along at 5mph i kick up a decent wake 10 and i can swamp a small boat. if it is wide enough ill go past at wot if i have enough room to do so but narrow channels i will kick it down to just enough to keep moving forward agaisnt any current. pwcs should be outlawed in my book and skiers i wont even go there my feelings are a lot worse. as for general pleasure boaters they need to sit in a 10 foot jon boat thied off and let me come past pulling a huge wake with thier boats and see how they like it. dont think it would teach them though. but i find that just as many fishermen are guilty and they are the ones that should know better.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The old 73 rule for PWC's.

7 foot rod, 3 ounce sinker, no hook.

Hit them in the back once and they learn to stay away from boat with fishing rods.

7. Mpayne

Mpayne New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Wow, I really never thought of taking that approach with my fellow boaters.
    You see how people drive their cars so I really shouldn't be surprised that some have no consideration for others on the water. I was out today and everyone was well behaved. Maybe there is hope?

8. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    With my boat, I guarantee you would rather me come by on plane instead of about 10 mph. Most boats have a much bigger wake when their pushing water instead of riding up on top of it. I see no problem going past someone while on plane as long as you leave a wide berth. Now, the whole part about passing at 20' is the problem.