boating before it freezes outside

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by daniel-delarosa, Nov 24, 2007.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Is there anything special you have to do to your outboard after you use it when it's supposed to freeze over night?

2. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have two boats (for now) One has a 9.9 Merc and the other a 15 Seahorse. All I've ever done is to make sure they aren't tilted up. I put them down and make sure the water is out of the lower units.
    I use Stabill in the one, because I don't use it over the winter. The other one, I use year round.

Don't know if that is the "right" way, but know that (so far) I've had no trouble.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Mover the wife over and take that puppy in the house. :smile2:

On a serious note do as laura suggested and you should be fine just be sure to check that gear case to make sure no water is in it.

Laura , suggestion here girl, Use that stabil or seafoam year round you won't regret it.

4. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    LOL Willard.. I'm SKEERED too! If all the junk in that Seahorse got cleaned out, it might NOT run no mo! :smile2:

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    why use stabil year round bubba?

6. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    heard fuel goes stale after to weeks if not used ~ dont really no the effect of stale fuel but i'm sure someone will come along and explain it ..:p

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i dont really believe that because my wreckers ,dumptruck ,tractor and a couple of my boats sit for extended periods of time[up to 4 or 5 months] and they fire up and run fine when its time to go!!

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That fuel at best will stay together about 30 days and I don't trust its stability that long so I add some enhancements to help it along to keep my old 2 strokers running.
    I don't use stabil myself, and I am not syaing anything bad here either because it and marvel mystery oil is two good products to use in outboards but my preference is Seafoam because it will also cut carbon and clean the entire system out. Seafoam will dissolve carbon and make it soft so it can either burn off or get blown out. If a spec of carbon is allowed to dry and build up on the rings or piston top and ignites then you have the makings of an internal explosion on a cylinder that will destory the piston.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Adam I am not here to make you believe or dis -believe anything. I just offer facts that I know that is true. Now if your 2 stroke motors aren't having trouble with fuel that is sitting for long periods of time then You are one lucky man.
    Now the wreckers are another matter. That is like comparing apples to oranges. You are talking 4 stroke engines and we were discussing 2 strokes.
    But if you can live with the fact that it doesn't hurt that 2 stroke engine then I am proud for you but I will stick to what I know on mine.

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i got an old 57 evinrude lark that probably has never had the head off.... how much sea foam you think i should use in it? guess i better have an extra set of plugs ready for when the carbon starts flying !!!

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Those old 57 rudes were about bulliet proof. I have a 59 version of that one myself. If you are serious about use 2/3 of a can in a gal of gas and be sure to mix you oil to. Run it until you get it warm and then take the plugs out and put the rest in the cylinders via the plug holes and put plugs back in and let it soak for about an hour or even overnight if you want to. The put it on the water and run it like you just stole it and was trying to get away.
    Clean the plugs real good and run it a little to blow out the rest and then add the new plugs.
    Frm then on I would add at least 3 ozs of seafoam to six gals of fuel.

Seafoam is good to use on any motor that you have. I use it on my farm tractors and they are all diesel and weed eaters lawn mowers. The uses are endless.

12. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Bubba I know about old gas,when I was 15 my Dad and I removed the behind the seat gas tank from an LPG tanker truck.That tanker truck had been running on LP gas since it was new so the gasoline in the behind the seat tank was over 3 years old and wouldn't burn.Even a wad of burning newspaper wouldn't set that gasoline on fire.I may be lucky because I've been running 2 stroke outboards since 1963 and I have never mixed anything with my gas but Merc 2 stroke oil(my dad taught me that) and I never have problems.I guess Merk 2 stroke oil has something like stabil in it.

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have an 07 Yamaha 115/80 jet 4 stroke. Am I correct in assuming that I don't have to winterize it because it is a jet, and should I use 12 oz's of seafoam or stabil to my two 13 gal tanks (6 oz's per)?

Thanks for helping us all.

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Shawn If you live in some harsh cold weather then by all means winterize it. As for the fuel, It doesn't mater if you are in Fla or Alaska treat that fuel for storage. If I was you I would add at least 12 oz to those tanks and use your preference whether it be sea foam or stabil. Both good products.

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I guess I should have clarified. I have an outboard jet, not a jet drive (like a jetski). It doesn't have a water intake line. It all comes in through a grate, swirls around and comes out a tube. The most I can thing of would be to fog the top. It will most likely sit from Jan 6th, 2008 to sometime in Feb when I take it to Henderson and then til mid March when we get some warm days.

Guess I ought to call my dealer and read the manual.

Thanks guys.

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can fog it if you want to but if mine doesn't sit no longer then that I don't fog it. Just set it staright up in run position and let what little accumlates in the pickup just drain out. I would in you case treat the fuel though. Disconnect your battery and take it inside if you don't have it pluged up to an onboard charger. I would also cover it with a tarp or cover.