Boating Accessory Shopping

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Pip, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Just curious to see where most shop for accessories for the boat. Do you usually hit the big retail stores like Bass Pro and Cabelas? Maybe West Side Marine, BoatersWorld, American Marine Supply, etc. Or decide on a specific item, see where you can find it for the best price, or the dealer you bought the boat from.

The big retailers are nice, finding most of the stuff at one place, but sometimes the prices seem to be higher at time, Although I do like to keep a close eye on Cabelas bargain cave. have gotten, what I thought was some good deals at times. I'm always looking the most bang for the buck, though.

Just curious if there is a place heads and tails above the rest. places to stay away from and places that have great customer service.

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I do a fair amount of ebay and Internet, but the place I like best is a little independent store called WV Marine. A funky place that puts you in mind of an old hardware store.
    So much stuff in that place that it is hard to walk around. :big_smile:

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I always shop Academy's first. If they don't have it in stock, then I branch out. My store of last resort is bass pro, and I may shop there if I win the lottery.

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Amen bass pro is about as expensive as it gets.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I do a lot of INTERNET shopping myself for best price and cheaper shipping but sometimes cheaper ain't always better.

Good post though.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It depends entirely on what it is.
    Jamestown Distributors for hardware, elctrical, plumbing, rope, paint, primers Vetus bow thrusters, etc.

They have a knowledgeable staff that answers the phone that knows what they sell and in terms of boat building they are pretty savvy about those products as well.

If I order on a Wednesday before 3 PM I get my stuff Friday.
    That is from Rhode Island to North Carolina.

They also have a yearly program that costs 35 dollars. Free shipping on all your orders.

I don't mind paying a little more when I can pick up the phone and basicly talk to someone that is real technical support.
    I don't have to hope I'm ordering what I need.
    AND their website has a rather large how to section to boot.

Generally I try to stay away from the box stores for purchases if it can be avoided.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    You have to shop around. Just this week I needed a new live well pump. I couldn't believe how expensive those things are. An internet search found me the exact pump for such a low price I bought 2 with shipping for substantially less than the cost of 1 at the usual places.
    I love the internet...W

8. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have done business wih a place called Overton's. They specialize in all things boating related and seem to have pretty good prices. They sell online and catalog.

:cool2:

9. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i like westmarine.com

10. Northernglitch

Northernglitch New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I do most of my browsing on the internet. Some things I get from Wal-Mart (things that quality isn't a necessity), Cabela's, and a place called Mobile RV and Marine LTD. They are a part of a bigger website marine super store it looks like. You go to HERE and it redirects you to HERE when you click on the Order Parts link for Marine items.