Boaters world..Read the fine print!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Skipjack, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    In Dec. of '06, I purchaced a Penn 220 GTO "on sale" for what I thought was $49.99 from Boaters world.com. Great deal, right? Wrong! When I recieved the reel, my account was charged $66.94 which included 59.99 + 6.95 shipping. I thought I might have overlooked some fine print, so I ate the extra $10.00. But, as it turned out, when I bought the reel, I was automatically signed up with a sight called Reservation Rewards. Last week this outfit debited my account for $10.00 more! So I promptly called these people and disputed this transaction. The lady on the phone said that they will send my $10.00 back, and take me out of thier program. Scam? She said that this was not a scam. I guess that I missed a lot of fine print!

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Out west I believe it's called the Captains Club and it entitles you to special discounts and a reward points system based on the amount of purchases. I sign up for this yearly as my purchases from Boaters world are fairly regular at the local store and make it worth while. Next time you see one of there ads or catalog check the order form there should be a place where you can decline membership. You should be aware that West Marine has the same program and they will sing you up if you don't decline. Many of the advertised specials require membership to get the discount.

3. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    O.K. I realize that I failed to decline this offer. Just curious though, after they recieved my name, adress, and access to my bank account, from someone at boaters world, how often would they have taken money out again, without notification?

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Unless I'm mistaken about the program it should not be more than once a year. And they should send notice that your dues are up.

5. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    these days those so many flippin companies that try to 'sneak into your wallet'.

I have thrown away my plastic. I either write checks or pay in cash.

It would seem we live in an electronic Den of thieves anymore

cyas
    robert

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Robert, We been using Discover card for over 20 years. For the last several years we almost never use cash or checks. All our bills are paid with bank drafts or electronic transfers. Not once have we had a problem. Besides receiving several hundred dollars cash back at the end of the year is not bad.

Yes, there was something.. we've made two different buys over the years that never showed up on our Discover bill. :smile2:

Skipjack, I will agree.. that would have upset me. Glad you'll get your money back.