boaters and bank fishermen

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by bw69r, Jul 14, 2008.

1. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    went out saturday night, my buddy rearranged schedule to fish so we headed out to the mon. all night we had trouble with boaters. they would go slow til they got above or below us then slam the throttle down and blow by us. one boat kept pulling in below us and they would make a gas run, top of tank, and blow out again. they did this three times. another boat came by towing another , i was kneeling down and turned away from the river re-rigging. the boat had a radio on but i thought i heard talking, then nothing,so i kept re-rigging as was my buddy. the next thing i know some drunk hollers over F@#K you A$$HO%#S!!! at the top of his lungs. so i put my rigging on hold and turned around and stood up and was going to ask if there was a problem and they took off. buddies girlfriend was there and she said they were mumbling something about us fishing where we were, then she wasn't sure if they were talking to us or not then that is when the guy yelled. then a little later the boat that kept running out of gas came back ( suprise out of gas again. the fourth time they ran out of gas) either drunk or high, said they knew where the fish were but they wouldn't hit their bait. what were they using and how were they fishing? salted minnows floating on top of water and wondered why they were so hard to cast and why the didn't get a hit in 9 hours of fishing.then they almost forgot to secure the boat before they left. then another two hours of boats flying by and all was finally quiet. i don't have anything against boaters in general but whatever happened to common courtesy. and whatever happened to the fish wardens on the mon. if any of these people would have been stopped they would have gotten busted for drinking as evidenced by all the empty beer bottles and cans floating down the river. there were a lot of logs floating down the river and a lot of barge traffic i am suprised no one got killed. i haven't had any trouble on the river in years but i guess all the jerks were out on my stretch of river last night. and for the person who hollered and cussed at us last night if by some slim chance you happen to be on or are joining this site the next time you see me feel free to dock your boat, walk on over and say what you did to my face and i assure you that you will not look so manly to your drunken friends and your girlfriend as you are flying off the end of the dock and going for an unplanned midnight swim. please remember you mess with the bull sometimes you get the horns. sorry guys and gals but i had to vent a little.

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i hear ya brian we had drunken boaters throw full beer bottles at us yelling the same stuff as they did to you no common sense or courtesy just tells me what kind of up bringing they must have had i now fish the yough almost all the time and some lakes i do see the fish wardens along the stretch between dawson and layton just alot more peaceful and i dont have to deal with the a** holes for the most part anyway i do know what your saying thanks for the post

3. Bigcat tinyboat

Bigcat tinyboat New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    next time do not hesitate to call river patrol or the police, if its the three rivers they will have someone out there within good time. they love a good drunken boating arrest. usually nets many other violations as well.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The river I fish doesn't have alot of boat traffic especially in and around the city. Not many boats are in there for fishing.

But, we have rowers! I cease to amaze me how much time people have to row around on a river. They rowers are the worst. They somehow find the same area that you fish and row over it.

There has been many shouting matches during my time on the Schuylkill.

5. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    I know what you mean, I go for relaxation, no matter how stressful it may get sometimes theres almost nothin else Id rather be doing. It just urks me somthin feirce when some @$$hole is tearin up & down the river at 2 am when its completly obvious that we're fishin there. Even when me and the woman were shore fishin a few weeks back, she was bout 50 yrds down from me when a couple of drunk punks started throwin bottles and shootin off fireworks right over her head, well needless to say I lost it , and they left in quite a hurry. I just wanted to start slingin 5oz'ers at their windsheild, And people wonder why there aint no place to fish.:angry::angry::angry:

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    one day my couz.and i were fishing way up river at degray lake and i meen way up river.there was lots of people fishing for crappie,in small boats,so cuz and i use our trolling motor to get over a rock loaded shoal to a bigger hole up river.as we were working our way back down,with trolling motor,we saw a guy coming and he was in a 20 or 22 foot yacht throwing a 5 foot wall of water out in front of his boat almost swamping the small boats and when he got to the shoal he ran aground.as we got closer i could see his boat getting lower in the water he had knocked a hole in the bottom and he was sinking.when we got up to where he was he ask me what did i hit.i told him a rock so this idiot says how long has that been there.i told him o maybe 250 to 300 thousand years.he ask me if i would pull him off the rock i told him no but i did give him a ride back to the ramp.he found another idiot to try and pull him back to the ramp and his boat finished sinking.last i heard they were still in litigation over who pays for the boat.

7. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Sorry to hear about your night....I just vented a similar frustration in the rivers section.

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Joe, if i could have gotten the numbers off of the boats i would have called the wardens.

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Brian I am sorry you had a bad time. We had this debate on another forum sometime ago.I sometimes fish the Delaware and have the same problems with Jet-Skiers who want to show off and come with in ten yards of everyone fishing...True Jerks in my book....As Blacky already mentioned we have tons and tons upon tons of people rowing..The city wants to be known as the mecca of rowers...I dont have a problem with the rowers but you always get the bad ones...These guys purposely come in and tangle our lines...To them they own the river...No one else matters...I talked to an older bait shop guy this past weekend...This guys is one of the most kindest guy you will ever meet..He told me he was in a shouting match with one of these people.. just this past week..He was told by them "We own this river"...There is nothing you can do if we want to tangle up your lines...:angry: ....Awful...

10. SEANEGNATZ0789

SEANEGNATZ0789 New Member

State:
    MCKEESPORT, PA
    Well Brian, sounds like you had yourself some good, old fashioned fun on the river! Lol! Some trash just can't help themselves, they just don't know any better. Hopefully you have a better time your next trip out!

11. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    I think if that happened to me i would have to spool up some 100# braid and attach some 5oz pyrimd sinkers to it and then wait for 1 of them Jerks to try tangle my lines .... you know it would only take 1 time !

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

I could reel in a row boat full of rowers with 100lb braid easily.

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've fished off shore most of my life but these days I'm on a boat. I never forgot how it feels and now if I'm in a boat I have a ton of respect for those who are bank fishing. I myself go slow, ask them how's the fishing going, tell them if we are marking fish as we pass and if I did good catching my bait I will offer some free herring.

Sorry ya had a bad experience out there. We see disrespectful boat out there every day....and I hate it !!!

-Jim-

14. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    This past Friday I was shore fishing at a local lake (daytime) and had a few boats go by. Only one of them had the courtesy to move out to the middle when going by. Another made no effort and went right over where I was fishing. OK, no big deal, I was fishing about 15-20 feet of water. The one that pissed me off was the last one. The boat comes up the channel and anchors about 30 yards from where I was casting too. To make things worse, the guy and lady were not even fishing. She laid on the front area boat and the guy was doing nothing but messing around and slamming hatches closed and making all kinds of noise in the boat. There was a whole lake, and hundreds of yards of room in this channel but this jerk had to anchor right where I was fishing. Good it was about time to leave or I may very well have launched a sinker. Oops! Sorry about that.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this just reflects our society as a whole...I would be willing to be most of these incosiderate boaters and bankers never had comon courtesy taught to them while growing up.....we have a whole generation of assholes out there.

16. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    went back to my spot late last night and the boaters were totally inconsiderate again. running right in front of me, and the one boat has a guy and a lady in it that i remember from last time that kept running out of gas. he talks like a canadian hoser with a speech impedement. anyways they kept running in close so i would reel my lines in and then he pulls up not 12 feet from me and gets out of boat and asks me what i am using and where to go fish. i would have ripped him a new one but incredibly i was getting a hit while this is going on and i think he caught a clue and left. never did get the fish. next time and i am sure there will be a next time he is going to get an earful from me. by the way they are fishing with salted minnows fished with no weight and wonder why the aren't catching anything and wondering why they can't cast that far with them. oh well i guess it takes all kinds to make the world go round.