Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Catfishingbuddy, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Catfishingbuddy

Catfishingbuddy New Member

State:
    TX
    Where can I find a good boat cheap? LOLOL Yeah I know there is no good boats scheap. lolol

I found a 1973 Falcon Super Tiger stick driven for 950.00 everything looks good on it. The guy said it been in the barn for most it's life. 16' and has a 85 Evinrude, two raised seats, stick steering, 2 10 gal gas tanks, 1 paddle, power tilt (needs wireing to battery).

Is this a good deal?

2. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Always be careful when buying old boats. There can be lots of problems that are not visible to the uninformed buyer. Best thing to do is get someone who knows what to look for and insist on a test run in the lake. I looked at a bunch of boats before I finally bought a 14' jon boat. All the fiberglass older boats had problems with the hull or transome and required expensive repairs. All the motors needed some kind of work. One had been run till it had seized due to water pump failure. The owner said it ran good the last time he had it out and would not take it out for a test run. I later found out why when he sold it to a fellow I knew. Here in Texas it also has to have a title to the boat and motor. I wouldn't touch one without the proper paperwork. Catfishjon

3. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just my humble opinion but I would think that anything above a 50hp would be safer using conventional steering. And yes do take in on a test drive. I just bought an older model boat last week. The guy hooked up the motor flush to it, cranked it and all sounded good so I turned down his offer to test drive it. However when I got it on the lake it was hard to start and wouldn't idle in neutral. When he had cranked it he never took the choke off it. Now its in the shop, luckily the guy will stand behind it.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    hey micheal,
    be sure to buy a boat based on what type of fishing u plan on doing,
    If wanting to chase big blues or if u need to go in open water, u might need something a little bigger or more V-hulled. Be sure to take it out before u buy, to make sure it is what u want.
    Go BIG if u go flat, a long flatbottom rides good but short one can not bridge the big waves (just found that out) in lakes

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If that boat has been sitting most of its life there won't be a water run because it won't run long enough to try it out. Just because a boat motor will run on muffs does not mean that it will run in the water under pressure.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Guess I'm fortunate or more challanged than most. When I buy a boat, I run a compression test. It pass that its a deal. I (and my buddy FuzzFace) can fix the motors and boats as needed. Probably could completly rebuild a motor, but we have to draw the line somewhere. LOL

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I wouldn't buy a used boat motor without taking it for a test drive on the water. I've got a 6hp now that runs great, but kicks out of gear after you get to a certain rpm. You wont catch that idling on muffs or in a trash can. I'm not familiar with that type of boat, but if its aluminum its a good idea to fill it with some water to see if it leaks/ how bad it leaks. If leaks aren't too bad you may be able to tighten some rivets. If it leaks real bad i'd pass.

8. Catfishingbuddy

Catfishingbuddy New Member

State:
    TX
    The guy said he would put it in the water and give a test run. The boat is fibarglass. I have been in a stick driven boat before and very hard to get use to. I guess I was looking at the wrong deal, because I was lookine to put a old wheelchair of mine in the boat with no wheels but bolted down with a swivel bottom. I think I better relook this thing out. Thanks everyone.

Oh and sorry I posted in the wrong board.