Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys have any tips to keep boat from swaying back and forth in current, I am using 2 20lb navy type anchors, 1 at each end, I hate to get line tight, then boat moves, instant slack in line. This is only a problem while fishing out side of boat, it's not a problem straight out the back of boat. I have a light 14ft deep v boat. Thanks guys for any help. Smitty

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
couple of different solutions

-one- use two anchors out the back to keep boat from swinging one at a 45 away from you off each corner. three anchors are a pain but can keep you very stable.

-two- get a drift sock and hang it behind the boat,it will take out most of the swing, you can also hang it off the sides after your front anchor has a good hold if you need to swing the boat one way or the other for better positioning just hang it off the side away from the direction you want to go, the water current will fill the sea anchor/drift sock and create a drag off the boat to swing you into position of hold it alot steadier off the back.

-three- use plenty of anchor rope and drop your rear anchor,motor upstream and drop the front one,kill the motor and drift back till you front anchor catches good, then pull in all slack on the back anchor rope and pull yourself as tight as you can between the two points,it will help.

as far as I know without using a four point anchoring system with winches to get things tight your not going to get all the swing out,but you can get most of it out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
couple of different solutions

-one- use two anchors out the back to keep boat from swinging one at a 45 away from you off each corner. three anchors are a pain but can keep you very stable.

-two- get a drift sock and hang it behind the boat,it will take out most of the swing, you can also hang it off the sides after your front anchor has a good hold if you need to swing the boat one way or the other for better positioning just hang it off the side away from the direction you want to go, the water current will fill the sea anchor/drift sock and create a drag off the boat to swing you into position of hold it alot steadier off the back.

-three- use plenty of anchor rope and drop your rear anchor,motor upstream and drop the front one,kill the motor and drift back till you front anchor catches good, then pull in all slack on the back anchor rope and pull yourself as tight as you can between the two points,it will help.

as far as I know without using a four point anchoring system with winches to get things tight your not going to get all the swing out,but you can get most of it out.

Yes that all makes sense, thought I have kept my anchor ropes tight, maybe not tight enough. Smitty

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Dan I do not know how much current you are talking about. But if you are talking current
like below a hydro dam, I have always been taught never anchor from the back of the boat
in heavy current. The reason being if your front anchor breaks it hold and the boat drift back
and then your front anchor catches you could be caught with your boat catching the current
sideways instead of the front. In heavy current this would cause your boat to roll or be sucked
down. As far as your boat moving side to side, I have read post where people use two anchors
off the front in sort of a Y formation tieing off to the front sides instead of the middle. I have
also heard that drift buckets will stabilize the drifting. Someone else will post that knows more
about current than I do, I just wanted you to be aware of the safety issue.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan I do not know how much current you are talking about. But if you are talking current
like below a hydro dam, I have always been taught never anchor from the back of the boat
in heavy current. The reason being if your front anchor breaks it hold and the boat drift back
and then your front anchor catches you could be caught with your boat catching the current
sideways instead of the front. In heavy current this would cause your boat to roll or be sucked
down. As far as your boat moving side to side, I have read post where people use two anchors
off the front in sort of a Y formation tieing off to the front sides instead of the middle. I have
also heard that drift buckets will stabilize the drifting. Someone else will post that knows more
about current than I do, I just wanted you to be aware of the safety issue.
No..... not heavy current below dam, just current in the river.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If the current is moderate or stronger, try a drift sock or bucket off the stern. If the current permits, try anchoring with two anchors upstream - one to the bow and one to the stern. Then your boat rides broadside to the current. OK unless the current is strong enough to make the boat unstable.

The worst case is when the wind and the current are from opposite directions. Then there's almost nothing you can do to stay put. You get everything adjusted just right then the wind gusts and you move. The wind settels back down and you drift back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.