Boat wont hit top speed without trying to turn over.

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Drawout, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    What could possibly be the problem ? About half throtle its fine anything over that and the darn thing raises up on the right side trying to turn over , this is very scary any ideas ?

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Don't have a clue why, but then I've got any idea what boat and motor you have either.

Share a little info.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Do you have one of those dolphin tails or whale tails or whatever they are called on your motor? Might be one of those little rudders on the bottom of them came loose and turned the wrong way instead of straight ahead. Mine was and always pulled to the right but never did want to turn over.

4. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    sorry Bob its a 73 starlite boat with 100 hp evinrude.

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Something wrong with the hull?

6. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    have you had it out of the water since this problem? has to be the hull(doughtful) or the motor, are the motor mounts in good shape or maybe loose causing the motor to twist at a certin speed? uuuh ya didn't leave the trailer on it did ya? :big_smile: :crazy:

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    No dolphin or whail tail hull seems fine to me. The boat raises up on one side like it wants to turn or turn over.

8. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    And lol did remove from trailer before launching.

9. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    i won't miss the end of this saga !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll_eyes:

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Have you recently changed the prop? Changed anything or has it been this way as long as you've owned it?

11. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    have you tried putting the anchor back in the boat? :big_smile:

IF the boat/hull is not the issue, blind guess would be motor, or part of it, is moving under the torque. Either mounts lose or broken or lower unit/prop about to fall/break off.

12. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I had a remote control boat that did that once. One of the stabilzer fins on the bottom had broke off.

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Is it rising real hard on the left side when you power it up. If it is check the transom mount or the prop has a blade bent

14. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Prop looks fairly well, anchor is in the boat lol, has done it since ive had it its an old boat i bought a few months back, could it be because im a big guy ,surely not since its a 17 foot boat :confused2:

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    One way to tell is to scoot that big ole carcus over in the middle of the boat when you throttle it up.:lol:

16. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I've got a 26' Carver that used to make a hard left turn at about 3/4 throttle but it's a I/O with a Merc out drive and the cause was a loose gimbel ring so I would check to see how much side to side play it has in the motor mounting or steering.

17. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Move some weight onto the other side of the boat and see what happens. sometimes you have to balance the load and put it where it is needed.Find the sweet spot and I think your problem will be solved.

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It was my first thought, but decided to wait until more info was put out before suggesting a call to Jenny Craig:big_smile:

To be sure about this, get a light weight to run the boat or even get a passenger, but don't tell them why.:roll_eyes:

19. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Ill try that next time im out but just dont seem right i would never think that was possible in a boat that big but ill try it out. Thx guys:tounge_out:

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That's what we did, and we haven't had trouble since.