BOAT WITHOUT A TITLE

Discussion in 'Boating' started by JEFFRODAMIS, Jun 4, 2009.

1. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Well long story short.. my ex landlord spent my deposit...offered me a 16 foot jon boat in pretty good condition, no trailer no motor,:confused2: in trade. thing is...it has no title..i have been out of the "fishing scene" for a few years and never had a boat of my own or known anybody that has had an issue like this. What would a man in my position do with a boat with no title? can you file for a lost title liek a car?? where would i go to get this done?

thanks in advance guys

2. James Bentley

James Bentley New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Go to your local tag office,they will know what you need to do.

3. mjbarby

mjbarby New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    just went through the same thing with a motor, go through the tag office, takes alittle time

4. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It also depends on who it was last titled to. Could be a major pain the arse if the previous owner is deceased.

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    should i get the numbers off of it and go before i take possesion? seems like that would be the smart thing to do

6. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana

Yup,,, alot of older alum boats are stollen. I don't think all alum boats even came with a title??? I have an old sea nymph i just registered and it has no title???

7. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Jeffro, to help ya out a little, to obtain a title in Texas you will need to deal with Texas Parks and Wildlife, not the tax offices. You can go to the web page and check on the boating section, it will give you local office #'s where you can talk to someone. (WWW.TPWD.State.TX.US). If the boat has been registered ie TX #'s, you can check to see who last registered it. If it has a HIN (Hull identification #) you will need that to see if it has been titled. If there are no numbers on it, you are going to have to have a Game Warden inspection and several forms and affidavits on the boat. I've done 3 in about the past 18 months, it's not real difficult, but go by and talk to them first, it will save you some headaches.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think I'd tell him to sell the boat and give me cash back. LOL or, did you trade him the boat for your deposit. Also, it depends on the boat. A lightweight boat of that size could probably be found for 50 to 75 dollars. What was your deposit?

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Do not buy a boat with out a title.i have and let me tell you there is no way to get the title without the last registered owner and with out a title its hard to find out who that is.

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    deposit was 350...hell i thought the boat was worth more...forget that nonsense then lol i think i should tell him to sale it hahaha

thanks!

11. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i wouldnt give 350 for an old jon boat

12. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Jeffro, if everything went perfect, to get it titled and registered it gonna cost you $100 total just to get it ready for the water. Passing on this is probably a smart move.

13. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Thanks!

Sooooo..any body want to buy a non titled jon boat? LOL

i guess im going to have to repo some of his belongings lol

14. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm glad you decided to pass. I helped a friend do some of the leg work on trying to get a title on an old jon boat he inherited from a late uncle, and it was a royal pain in the arse....esp since it had never been registered in texas.

15. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    around missouri a 16' V bottom boat sell every day for $100 and up to $200 if it's a flat botom, 14 footers go for $100- $150

16. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    It's a pretty simple process to find out if there are going to be problems with obtaining a bonded title. If it hasn't ever been registered that makes it much easier. If you decide you want to keep it, let me know and i'll help you out.

17. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    You could tell your landlord to title it in his name first than sign it over to you and give you $100 cash and you'll take it. Make him do the leg work. You might consider having the police run the hull ID number to see if it has ever been stolen.

18. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Maybe i should slap him around a bit :wink: