Boat Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Salmonid, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey guys I bought a switch panel to put n my johnboat and Dink came over and basically wired it all up for me ( Thanks buddy, I owe you several for that one!!) and the switch panel has a battery tester built into it with only 1 red wire on the back of it, soooooo, when we hook that up to the positive side it barely blips on the gauge when the battery was about 80% charged so we tried straight to the negative and it doesnt register at all. anyone know the trick to getting this to work, its the main reason I bought this particular panel and the directions do not even show that part of the panel, go figure....
    so we just tried to connect it to an already hot wire but does it need to go directly to the positive side terminal of the battery??

Any help would be most appreciative!!

Salmonid

2. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I believe that would be the best but any hot should work.
    Bill

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I would use the hot going to the key switch as it is directly connected to the battery.... This would be the same as hooking it up direct and you know you would get a true reading.. Hope this helps...

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    You Will Probably Be Allright To Hook It Up To Any Direct 12 Volt Source But Going Directly To The Battery For Any Ground Or Pos. (Hot) Issues Is ALWAYS Best.

HTH, Elliot

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i tried hooking up one the wires from the guage to a hot but when you flip the switch to test the battery the guage goes all the way to the bottom. the battery wasnt dead at all but the guage acted like it was. guage had 2 wires, one for battery#2, and battery#1. do both wires have to be connected for it to work properly? btw, whoever wired the boat needs to be slaped, all the wires going to the starter switch, choke switch, etc, were GROUNDS, not positive! it was backwards as heck but it works. had me scratchin my head for a while

6. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    If the switch you have is for putting a load test on the battery it should go from about 12v maybe down to 11v - 9v. If it is going lower than that you need to isolate the batteries and see which one is bad. Borrow a good heavy duty battery tester or take it to Autozone or somewhere similar and they can test each battery for you.

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That's the thing about wires... they don't discriminate...:lol:

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Electricity follows the path of least resistance. If you just hook it to just any ole hot wire you will read only that circuit.

? does it read Amps or Voltage. It can make a difference.

Do you have 2 batteries hooked up or only 1?
    It maybe set up to read 2 batteries and this could get tricky for only 1 battery.

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    The Reason It Has Wires For Battery #1 & #2 Is Because Most People Run Two batteries On board. In The Event You Have Only One Battery, You Only Need To Hook Up One Lead.

Somewhere It Is Going To Need To Be Grounded & It Is Not Designed To Load Test The Batteries But Rather To Indicate The State Of Charge, They (It), May Have.

10. Koda

Koda New Member

State:
    Tombstone,AZ
    Just an opinion, a lot of electrical devices are set up for positive and negative and sounds to me like the gauge goes to the left because you have the positive and negative reversed on the back of the gauge, this would cause the effect you are describing, hope it works out for you.
    David

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If the switch is originally mounted on a metal plate or on a circuit board. It gets it Negative connection(ground) thru this. The plate may have to be connected to the Negative battery terminal. Especially if it is designed for an automobile application.