Boat - What Is The Best Type For Catfishing?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by fishing is fun, Dec 29, 2006.

1. fishing is fun

fishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri
    whats the best boat for catfishin ,jon,pontoon,ect...:big_smile:

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    In my opinion...(take it for what it's woth) I like the flatbottom. I like to pull up on banks from time to time and fish. But on a windy day it is very rough on choppy to 'wavy' water. But I think the pros outweigh the cons.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    PONTOONS! They are the best all around catfish boats, in my opinion.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm with you there:smile2: . My boat is 20' Fiberglass, Flat bottom, very heavy & stable. My buddy just got a 12' jon boat for Xmas. I told him, there's places we can't go in my boat, that we can in yours & Vice-Versa.

You know the story, "The grass is always greener.............."

Have a safe & happy New Years:big_smile:

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I like my bass boat, low sides, no rails, comfy seats, rides nice and room to walk around. It's also fast enough to out run most storms.
    Bill

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Seems to me that it would be hard to convert a pontoon to a duck blind when season comes around. But I understand they are great to fish out of, I just have no use for them.

7. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Usually a good idea to match the boat to where/how you plan on doing most your fishing.
    Mostly fish big rivers or lakes? Small creeks or ponds? Big water or small? Does it need to handle occasionally banging against stumps/rocks? Shallow or deep? Is strong wind, waves an issue or current? Mostly gonna fish solo or with someone? kids? Going to travel very far after launching? Live well size an issue? Gonna fish one or two rods per person at a time or five per person? Fun fishing or tournament? Is towing/hauling weight an issue? Price an issue? Want it to do more than just fishing? and the list goes on ...
    If there was such a beast that fit every persons exact situation or needs or wants ... we'd all own the same boat. :big_smile:

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I agree with all this and it should all be taken into account when getting a boat. I have a 17' Ivader Reef Runner center consol deep-V fiberglass which I like very well but it dictates as to where I can fish. I also have a 24' SeaArk center consol modified V flat bottom for all the other places I like to fish and I can launch it anywhere, even from a beach without a ramp. I fish the Ohio river a lot and I see those pontoons bounced around like a cork. I used to own one of those also which they are good on a lake with out the current or a lot of wind.

9. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    yesterday on the ohio river i was passin a barge was glad i wasent in a jon. i like my tri V hull

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i prefer my flat bottom 16' river jon over my brothers 14' v bottom . their both aluminum but mine has more room to walk around i dont feel safe standing up in the v let alone walking around , the v cuts a wake better but rocks more when hit in the side by the wake . iv had 4 people in the flat i wouldnt put 3 in the v . the v is scary on choppy water the flat aint effected as much , i can skip across it like a stone at high speed . the flat sits in the water at half what the v sits , i can go in shallower waters safer .

for me its the flat bottom

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    What do you guys think of the 14ft. Heavy Duty Jon that BPS is advertizing all the time. It's riveted, with a live well, bout $900 ? I've got one of the Pelican Predators, 5ft. wide, 10ft. long two seater. It's ok but not sure bout the long run....also scared to put it in the Ohio. I've got a single axle trailer that will handle a 14ft Jon. Thinking of selling the plastic unit and going to the Jon. KC think the 14ft Jon would be safe on the Ohio? I've had the plastic unit up to Patoka several times, just think it's too small for the river....

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Right on brother I agree:big_smile:

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think it would really depend on how wide the 14ft Jon was. I would recomend to you that wider is better in this case. A 14ft Deep-wide would be ok to use for most situations (except in rough water conditions on the Ohio). Lake fishing and river fishing are two, totaly different worlds. There are many hazards to watch for on a river that lakes don't have.
    Be carefull out there.

14. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I would have said the new sea ark with the big live well River cat or big daddy, i went friday and looked at them nice boats. Cost about what i would think was right for a boat like that. but I also got to see what i think is the best catfishing boat i have ever saw to date. I looked and got to run a polar craft sportsman 2096CC with a 115/80 4 stoke jet. This thing will do 40 mph has a big live well is said 40gal but looks as big as the sea ark 60 gal but it was higher then the sea ark, Has a 12 gal bait tank lots of room to move around. 29' sides.
    As a Guide an tournament angler I'm in the boat alot I think this make just be the best boat going. Its got my eye right now :cool2: And maybe my money here soon as well. Hope the wife don't read this one :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    sounds like what my boats going to be when it grows up!!..mine is a 1860 cc g3 with a 90/65 4 stroke jet,very fun boat,and is easy to fish out of.

jerry

16. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have two boats a 16' lowe mod. v front and a 17' bass boat to fish tournys and when the old woman go'es. It's a lot more confortable for her and it is faster, but I like the jon boat better, and besides I have a avery duck blind that fits it. You know multi use boat.

17. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Got to figure the body of water that you want to fish... for the 60 years that I have been fishing I have done some thinking about boats, and have looked at many real closely. Before I got old enough to think about getting my own, my father had three fixer-uppers, but that was 40 years ago. when I started drifting on rafts on the river, I thought a canoe would be great.. I haven't got one of thoes yet. Later I got a 11'6" smoker craft for $300 from Monkey wards. It was not big enough for family and friends, but I made it work.. Great for the shallow back waters, drifting...but a little unstable in the ocean, and you have to take the big waves on an angle... thats the key.. dont go straight into the waves... The Jon boat is brobably better for shallows and rivers... Now I have a modified river boat. When fishing the Pacific rivers folks use drift boats.... That might be a good cat boat as well... nice high sides, and with just ores, you can hold in a body of water real good... better to have one with the motor comming out of a well near the back, or is it the front.. hard to tell which end... I think that the "boston whaler" type of boat is unsinkable and with a center console is real nice... going bigger, The Carolina skiff is an excellent boat, and the ole "bass boat" is not so good if you are going to fish big lake/rivers such as lake Powell out west, or Lake Mojave, or Lake Mead where the winds in the desert can gust up to "giant windwaves" If you need to keep the wife happy that is a "Big" consideration... I dont mean her size folks.. Her comfort is what I'm talking about....So with this all said and done you end up with the best type of boat being "Three boats". I had to get rid of boat #2. Not that it was my #2 boat, it was replaced by boat #3 but #2 was nice..... I had 6 years of trying to make it the best boat ever... "for me that is". So I have the #1 Smoker craft, and My "NorthRiver" Seahawk, which is an "ocean going" riverboat. For weight and durability, and because you dont have acres of land to keep a boat on.....get yourself a jon boat...."I have never had a Jon boat" so I cant help you out there" "Toons" are nice.... My buddies thought that It looks just like a boat that I should have.... "have for who?

bayrunner ray

18. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    buy what u can afford, i want another smaller boat and a bigger boat. My 17ft bass boat is a happy medium but if i had to do over again i would buy a pontoon and have a 10ft jon too.

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Actually... Any boat that gets you there and back safely and is comfortable to you, is the best cafishing boat!!!!

20. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm of an age where I'm less concerned with catching lots of big fish, and more interested in staying dry, shade, a really comfortable seat, and a drink holder that's close enough that I don't have to reach too far for my beer.:smile2:

I'm looking at Alumacraft vees with walk-through windshields.

Please don't wake me up.:lol: