Boat update, and progress report

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, we got those giant, homemade storage boxes out of the boat today. It really opened the boat up and created a ton of room, and reduced weight. One thing I decided, is to leave the center console in it for now, as suggested by Tommy. The boat is plenty long, and the console is far to the rear and it really doesn't take up too much space. I think I may put one of those suicide balls on the wheel so I can turn it fast when maneuvering in tight quarters. We closely inspected the boat today for the first time. The exterior of the hull is in excellent condition. I was kinda disappointed that I found a small soft spot in the floor. It seem to be about two feet long and a foot wide, about even with the console. I am going to repair that. As much as I like the insulating, quietening attributes of the astro turf, I don't like problems that can hide under it, and having a floor covered, the floor seems to always stay wet under it. I will probably coat the floor with some sort of non skid , spray on stuff. Our boats stay full of mud from the river, and a quick hose out is easier without carpet or astro turf. I still want to build some sort of portable enclosure for about ten feet on the front section of the boat. Can use it to fish and camp. This could keep the dew out of the boat in that area, and I can sleep on it comfortably. I have enclosed a few pics, so you can kinda get an idea how big this gem is. There is one pic of me here lying sideways in the boat, and I am in the narrowest part in the front of the boat. Will keep y'all updated until she has her maiden voyage NEXT week.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Bill,
    With my old skiff I first got it and the center console was rearward mounted. I removed the cc and moved if forward a couple of feet. It opened the back up for fishing but the thing i found out was it balanced the boat out and it ran out better. It wasnt so back heavy and came out of the water better.
    Bill is it a wood floor?
    I splatter painted my front deck with sand from the paint store (wont tear up feet but anti slip)but another consideration is the paint on truck bed liner. I have seen a couple of people post on here with good results.
    Keep us posted.
    Lindsay

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    You did good Bill!:wink: Floor space means alot on a Catsmacker boat. If you can keep the 200 on and go with it. You can put a rock guard on it and modify it so that even though you have tilt and trim. The motor will swing up freely it you hit one and slide over it.:wink: I've got a friend on Lake Marion thats got his Johnson that way for stumps. I see plenty of room for me should I ever make it down your way!:wink: That include my coooolllllleeerrr!:smile2:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You're welcome here anytime, pop pop!!
    BB in SC

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GOOD idea about moving the console up a foot or two. It's going to be loose in the morning for the removal of the rest of the astro turf, so we will fool with it's position some. The floor is fiberglass, but it has wood underneath it. Shouldn't be too complicated of a fix.
    BB in SC

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    NICE! From the looks of it to me you could just buy ya one of them covered hammocks and tie it from side to side, yes sir nice looking rig ya got, congrats!

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    looks like the boat is coming together nicely

8. Mrs. Sunbird

Mrs. Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run, SC.
    Bill, jon just got a boat, and thanks to you, he thinks he needs to look for one like you got. Thanks pal! :wink:

Very nice!

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    That's a sweet looking rig you've got there Bill! Sounds like you're having fun building it and riggin' it the way you want as well, that is a rewarding feeling! Congrats and can't wait to see pics of your first fish landed!

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Looks like you got yourself a sweet catfishing barge there, Bill. Lots of room to play.

It seems like the ideal way to go with the enclosure up front would be some sort of canvas "dog house" up there, so you could fold it down out of the way when not needed. I have seen that sort of thing on offshore center consoles before. That might not be the cheapest way to go, though.

Have fun with your new toy!

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The boat is really shaping up. I got all the astro turf removed, and the console loose to move forward about ten inches. We replaced the fixed captain's seat with a pedestal seat so we could swivel. We got all the old decrepit wiring out of it and re-wired everything. I bought a horn from NAPA and we installed that. The depth finder that was on it has a short in the plug, so I may take the finder off my skiff and put in on there. I took the pedestal seat off the front, and the trolling motor. I will put the trolling motor on my smaller skiff. We are going to mount two seats facing rearward, on each side of the casting deck, and still have plenty of room to pass through to the inside of the boat, and to scramble up front to tie the boat up or drop anchor. Peg had a grab rail that fit his identical console that he removed from his boat. Going to install that tomorrow. We are going to have the batteries mounted under the steering console to free up space in the rear. There will be NOTHING in the rear but gas tanks. We installed a three plug DC unit to power my spotlight, cell phone charger, and whatever else that might need a power source. I am getting new submersible trailer lights tomorrow, and completely rewiring the trailer. I am going to make a removable live fish keeper tank for tournaments. About one more good day of work, and we will have this vessel about like we want it. Still a few odds and ends to work on, but the big stuff will be done. I don't think I would trade this $3000 redneck yacht for a new Corvette! This is going to be one fine catfishin' machine!
    BB in SC

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, since you're replacing the submersible lights, I would suggest that you go with the LED type. Not a lot more money, and will last almost forever....
    You're making a lot of progress. Can hardly wait for a fishing/camping report real soon :smile2:

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Let me look for a source for them, Tommy! Thanks for the tip.
    BB in SC

15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, I bought mine from Advance, but most parts stores sell them, and I've even seen them in walmart lately. Compared to the life of standard "submersible" they are well worth the extra expense. Seems like I paid around $50 for the kit. My old ones had sealed capsules that were like 10-12 bucks each, and I had already replaced them a couple of times. Hopefully the LED's will last much longer. Everything electrical is sealed in epoxy of some sort.

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm on it, Tommy, and I appreciate the suggestion! It will be done.
    BB in SC

17. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    lookin good big chiefin'........just two questions.....what did ya name her, and how many rod holders?

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Pee Dee Explorer III

We got most everything done today. New LED trailer lights and completely rewired. All electrical functions working. Got grab bar and forward seats installed. The only thing left is to fill some screw holes in the floor, and screw down the console and rear pedestal. I will eventually paint the floor with undercoating, but my funds are about exhausted. I still have to go to Florence and get it registered. I removed the $600 stainless Lazer II prop, and put on the original Mercury aluminum prop. My brother said I could get $250 to $300 for my used Lazer II, and I don't need a high dollar stainless prop to destroy at the river.

Pics out tomorrow.

BB in SC

19. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    how about "Big Red" ....or i guess that's not very original..so when ya gonna pop the cherry....sounds like she's about ready for the water.

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thought about Big Red, and many other names, but settled on Pee Dee Explorer III. Should be in the water Saturday afternoon for a test run on Lake Wylie. Then, if all goes well, the maiden Pee Dee River fishin' voyage will be Sunday after church. I got to get some sort of light, portable, heated hut constructed on it so I can stay for days and sleep comfortably. My floating home away from home. Wonder how long before I am going to want to upgrade to a 24 footer? Then, houseboat?!! :wink:

BB in SC