Boat troubles

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by TennesseeJugger, Nov 26, 2009.

1. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Went out last night put boat in and it fired up no problems, but when I go to put it in gear it would shut off. I kept starting and finally went into gear but when I gave it some gas it would shut down again. I finally was able to get to run but it would not run full speed under load. I stopped it and tried it again and it never would run under load. I t would run wide open in neutral. Never did get to fish, jugger2's brother fom mich. did not get to jug fish at all. I had to call a friend and have him bring his boat to tow us back to the boat ramp. I did manged to get it to Cedar creek from HUnters point boat ramp off hwy 231. But whn I shut it off to bait up jugs it would not run underload. And we were to far away to use trolling motor and I did want to take a chance on getting stuck out on the river and drifting to China...LOL
    Any sugestions?

2. Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me bro.:embarassed::confused2:

When you put it under a load and try to accelerate, kick the choke on and see if it gets a kick in the arse. That will tell ya. Just go over the fuel system real quick and look for something. Check the plugs too. Start with the simple stuff.

3. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Yep, sounds like a possible fuel pump/ball issue. Works well enough to get it to run, but doesn't have enough when put under a load. Might just be something like a small hole in the fuel delivery system that is taking in air, but not leaking fuel.

4. Yes. And if I think it is starving for fuel, I will kick the electric choke on and off to see if it corrects it, so I know where to start looking. Is that an outbaord I assume T/J?

5. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Yes outboard but what is T/J?

6. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Boat troubles...The story of my life..Good luck..If you know a good reasonable boat mechanic around here Mr. Don please let me know..

7. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn

Actually I do, Hagans boat repair in Lebanon. He has worked on my before and I am going to take mine back to him. He is very reasonable. He goes out and buys broken down boats and strips them down for parts. So you have a choice of new or used parts. He is on Briskin lane in Lebanon.

8. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks a lot Mr Don I will try and look him up..

9. LMAO! T/J is shor for Tennesse Jugger Don,trying to give ya a cool nick name hoss.!:smile2::wink:

10. Taking it to the shop, huh bro.:embarassed:

If I was in your area I'd be working on it right now for ya bro. Good luck. Let us know what it was.:big_smile:

11. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    There is a guy that lives out here near schutes that is a boat mechanic les. He works out of his home and I believe he is mobile. If you want his number I will get it.

12. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    I don't know a lot about boats, but I have a jon with a 25 honda pull start. I had the same problems you did twice. It would start but not run worth a crap. The first time was bad plugs and the second time was one of the plug cables came loose and it was trying to run on 2 instead of three plugs. Once I corrected these problems, it ran great. Have you looked at your plugs?

13. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I was looking for some one closer to me, but thanks John..I'll keep it in mind as a backup plan...

14. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    LOL hell I thought it had something to do with the motor...ROFL:smile2:

15. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    try tightening the hose clamps on your fuel line. If it is one of those stiff plastic lines get rid of it. If the ball doesn't stay firm you probably have a leak and air is getting in.

16. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    Also, check your fuel filter. There's a good chance that it might be plugged.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    First thing I would do is pull the prop.
    You can foul one bad enough with fishing line and terminal tackle that it will bog a motor down and cut it off when you put it into gear.

You should pull your prop pretty regular anyway to check for fishing line and other refuse that will take your seals out.

18. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I pulled the prop and there were some fishing line but not a great deal of it.

19. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC

Hey it would be low speed jet in the carbs or the real pain in the butt..... reeds... So check fuel lines, filter ect first...Also could be electronics... My motor had bad reeds I have to start it with a fuel spray in the carbs.... But runs fine after that...

20. festus

festus New Member

Hope you get the boat fixed soon, Jugger, I want to see more videos!