Boat trouble

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by FLOAT TRIP WILLIE, Aug 25, 2007.

1. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I think i found the problem
    the treads on one of my spark plugs are stripped out, it want tighten up
    someone told me I can use (J-B WELD ) to help retread
    have you all heard of that?:eek:oooh:
    I hope that will work really want to get back up to alton in the morning.
    I cant take that skunken pretty well:angry:..............lol

any info will help right about now:confused2:

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Willie, I wouldn't use JB weld if it were me. Check out a local auto parts store (I like NAPA for stuff like this, they're counter people are generally a litle more knowledgable than some of the others) and ask for a spark plug repair kit. It should be like a Helicoil set up (you drill a specific size hole and then thread in a sleeve that has the correct spark plug threads on the inside). Be sure to bring a plug with you so they can check the threads you need for your plug. Be sure also to tell them what it's for so they know it's an aluminum block. If you do go that route and have to drill out the stripped hole to get the sleeve in it be REALLY careful not to get any drill shavings in the cylinder. That's bad news.

Not sure what type of motor it is or how old, but if it's an older Evinrude/Johnson you might be able to just pick up a new head cover and gasket and replace the head cover and gasket. Not sure about Mercs. Not sure what your mechanical level is, but it's not a terribly complex job. You can probably get the service manual on Ebay for $30 or so, which is less than an hour of labor at a boat shop. If you haven't already, post up in Bubba's Outboard repair board. That old boy has forgotten more about outboards than I'll ever know. Good Luck!

Branden

3. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    it a 66 evinrude its pretty old
    i'm going out to get pics of it now, post them in a bit

4. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    heres a couple pictures
    like I said earlier its a 66 evinrude, model #60653 R, serial # E03723
    I'm looking up napa now I hope this dont cut a deep hole in my pocket.:embarassed:

Attached Files:

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Willie, the thread repair kit should be less than $20, probably closer to $10 if you find one that will work. I have no idea what a new head cover plate would cost, but it's a boat part, so probably more than $50:wink: If you look at your motor it should just be that flat piece that covers both of your cylinders. Looks like 8 or 9 bolts from your pictures. Should be an easy replacement. Check your local boat salvage yards (there's one here in KC if you can't find a used one there) for a used plate. Head gasket should be less than $20, but again, it's a boat, so it'll cost about 3 or 4 times what it's worth. Good Luck!

Branden

6. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i haven't heard of usin jb weld before.

what exactly is stipped out, the plug? or the hole for the plug?

7. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    oh, almost forgot, my experience with jb weld in hot areas, is that it likes to melt... i was usin it to patch up a small hole in the exhaust on my truck, it was right where it straigtened up after comin down from the engine, and it melted like it was nothing

8. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I installed heliocoils on my bosses outboard back before I retired in 97. That was 10 years ago and it's still going strong. I did use loctite on the heliocoils to lock them in.

9. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've used the insert type quite a bit. You can buy a kit that has everything you can use. I always used red loctite on my inserts, and have had no failures yet. To bad your not closer, I've got the stuff in my garage to fix you up right now. Good luck, keep us posted. Later Andy

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Use the steel inserts and you can purchase a tap that will screw in to the existing hole and it will have a step up level to it. It will go up to the size os insert that comes with it and use locktite on the inside threads of the insert. Do not get none on the threads where the plug itself goes.
    When you run the tap through just put a gob of grease on the end of the tap and that will catch all the shavings that will be removed when tapping it.
    Simple process and works well to. It brings the spark plug hole back to the original 14mm size its suppose to be.

11. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Best way to repair. Buy Helicoil kit from auto parts, Pull the head from motor,Use a drill press, drill hole and tap, install Helicoil. Buy new haed gasket and put head back on motor, Your done.. If you spend $50.00 you got off cheap.. This is the only way to repair besides buying new head.. End of story!!

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bill if you will read all of the post you will see that he is working on a 1966 model and it won't do any good to drill just the head since part of the threads are in the jug.
    I have done about 25 or 30 of them the way I described and it has turned out well. But who am I to argue with a more knowledgeable person then I.

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    OOOPPS I had the wrong motor in mind about the jugs. That motor had the face plate with the head,
    Sorry about that.