boat traler help please

Discussion in 'Boating' started by jasonminitruck, Feb 21, 2009.

1. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I baught a boat, and the trailer is to short. I was wanting to know if i could extend it, and if so how would I do it?

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    what size boat is it bro.you can extend it although it might cost more than buying the right size trailor.give us more info we can better answer your question

3. jasonminitruck

State:
    tennessee
    Its a 17 foot duracraft thats five feet wide. the trailer is about 2 feet short.

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    2 feet isnt to bad as long as it is wide enough .just add the 2 feet to the tounge as to keep the weight on the trailor axles. add 2 feet to the front and move your winch foward that should do well

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    post some pictures of what your workin with.. might be as simple as longer bunk board.. just want to be sure to get the boat in the right position over the axle..

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  7. jasonminitruck

State:
    tennessee
    The boat pulls straight, and doesn't wobble, pull or anything at speeds from 55 to 70 MPH so i think the length should be added to the back of the trailer. Would this assumption be true?

8. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    no 1 foot to the front 1 to the back i would not put it all in the back i would put it all in the front but you can split it imo

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Iwould recommend the front as well. That way you can balance the load to the trailer. Get the boat too far back and there is no tounge weight, which could be bad news if you hit a pot hole. Too far forward and its a hernia when you try to lift the tounge. But, if you only need two feet, put in 3, 3 1/2 or 4 feet of extension. It makes the trailer a little easier to back when you have a longer tounge.

10. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    Post a picture ,so we know what whe'er look'n at:confused2:

11. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    should have at least to 100lb to 150lb tongue weight on a boat over 1500lbs and the transom needs to be fully supported:wink:

12. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    General rule of thumb is, 10% of the gross weight is what the tongue weight should be. On most trailers the axles can be moved too, just take care not to get it misaligned.

13. jasonminitruck

State:
    tennessee
    the weight of the boat is 1588lbs according to scales were my dad works, and I have the tounge weight adjusted to 135lbs will this work, or does it need to be lighter or heavier.

14. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    OK, now we know that we can lengthen a trailer, can I shorten one? I'm getting a 14' jon & it comes with a one-size-fits-all trailer so it looks a little long for the boat. I would like to shorten the trailer a bit to make it fit in my garage easier. Clould I just hack off a foot of the tongue & rebolt the hitch back on? What's the minimum distance I would want to have between my bumper & the front of the boat?

15. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    why don't you guys just trade trailors:smile2:

16. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Yes, you can shorten the tongue, but consider this first: the tongue should be long enough that the boat can't contact your tow vehicle in a really sharp turn, and long enough to allow you to open tailgates, doors, hatchbacks, etc. without interference.