Boat trailers stolen at landings

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by JAinSC, Jun 15, 2009.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    A friend at work had his boat trailer stolen off of his truck at Wapoo Cut Landing (a large well-used landing in Charleston) during mid day while he and his wife were out fishing. The thieves apparently just cut the lock, transferred the trailer to another vehicle and drove off. While he was back at the landing putting his boat on a brand new trailer a day later, he talked to another fisherman who also had his trailer stolen just a month before. My buddy also saw a police cruiser at the landing and asked the officer if he was there because of the string of trailer thefts. The officer's response was "what thefts?"

Pardon me brothers, but this is BS! We need to all do our part and watch for any suspicious behavior at landings and make reports to the police. I have to believe that if we all watch out for each other, we can end this.

Anyway, just wanted to warn everybody about the problem.

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i know what you mean about thiefs where i fish along the river its getting bad cant leave your car/truck out of site or chances are they will break into it most people who have boats have to put in at one or two places where the people will watch it while your fishing getting to be a real sorry situation

3. garrick

garrick New Member

State:
    SC
    Taking the time to make the police report is KEY. The cops can't be very effective unless they know exactly what's going on. I know- the odds of getting the stuff back is nigh shy of none, but it WILL prevent future thefts and help keep the area safe.

I moved my family up from south Florida a couple years ago, largely due to the culture of "no snitchin'" that was prevalent down there. Our neighborhood went from bad to worse because nobody would speak up about theft. I got a longboard stolen (a 10' surfboard) in BROAD DAYLIGHT. None of my neighbors saw a thing (of course), but when I went door to door looking for it, I did discover the lady next door had her van broken into three times, the guy down the street had his fishing poles taken , one person had his LITTLE daughter's new bike taken, etc. etc. None of them ever said anything to the cops, and one old lady said she was afraid of retaliation. I spread word about my board and got it back in 24 hours, the punks who took it got locked up, and that's that. However, the neighborhood's still a cess pool where anything not bolted down is stolen because the cops get so little info.

I can't echo JA's words strongly enough- keeping what we like safe takes everyone standing together and speaking up. Otherwise, theives just spread like fungus when they see they can get away with it.

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    John, unfortunately there seems to be little respect for people's property anymore :angry: If they're not outright stealing your trailer, then they're breaking into and/or vandalizing your vehicles. We work hard for our stuff, and it's so wrong for these peckerwoods to just help themselves. I totally agree that we need to file police reports (even tho we will seldom get our stuff back), but I also think that the penalties for those who get caught need to be stiffer, as there seems to be little deterrent for them to stop.

5. fishinnut

fishinnut New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Sounds like it's time to bust some caps....

6. BigTex

BigTex New Member

State:
    SC
    I say hang' em or cut their hands off. If it were ever possible for that kind of punishment to be used it would slow the SOB's down.

7. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It don't matter if you do tell the cops about it. I just had a work trailer stole from my shop with a low jack on it. I called the Summerville police and they said that they don't work with low jack and that I wasted my money. I called low jack and they said that they did work with them. So I called them back and they took down the serial number and I never heard any more. The low jack guy called me back and said nothing had shown up on his screen yet so I call the police again and they had written down the serial number wrong and tried to tell me that I had given it to them wrong. Long story short is it took them three days to get it right and by that time the trailer was either on one of two boats on the way to south america or it had been chopped and scrapped. The cops don't want to do any more than they have to short of writing tickets and eating donuts.

8. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Keep checking Craigslist, those boat trailers will probally show on there somewhere (may not be the area where they taken). There are a bunch boat trailers every day in North and South Carolina, and Georgia. They got to be coming from somewhere. Surely people aren't scraping that many boats. If you are missing one post the the details and I'll sure keep an eye out for it.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....I have to believe that if we all watch out for each other, we can end this....."

Reduce it, maybe. End it, never. :wink:

Sorry to hear about the loss. :crazy:

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I talked to my buddy. He said he checked Craig's List and there were 2 trailers on there that sounded like they could be his. Of course, they didn't include pictures, so it's hard to tell ...

11. alastingtouch

alastingtouch New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm always armed and ready to roll up to the dock and find someone messing with my property. :cool2:

12. oldcatsc

oldcatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Its sad to say , theft at boat ramps are really bad in sc . we have had the same problem in the upstate of sc for years , on lake russell we have trucks broken into and even on lake jocassee trailers stolen right in front of the state park offices . I will and hope others would do the same in reporting thefts to the local law enforement agencies . this might get us a little more protection at public ramps or a least a drive through once in awhile . :angry:

13. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    sry bout your lost man. I wish we could go to the laws in the middle east for stealing. Steal once and get caught u loose a hand do it again u loose your other.:wink:

14. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    times are getting tough now days and people arent remember others anymore, watch your back and your brothers back. We bought a cable type lock to run around and through the wheels of the trailer. if they were cutting that it would make it very obvious what was going on. Plus it makes it not so fast to get out of there. All your going to do is keep honest people honest. If they really want it you cant stop them

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's one reason I don't have shiny new equipment. The junkier it looks, the less likely it will daw a thieve's attention. I'm all about function over form! :wink:

BB in SC

16. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Bill, a lot of this mess is not for profit. A lot of it is just plain, pure meanness. If it came down to stealing to feed my family, then I reckon I'd have to be a thief. But, it's not the man that's trying to feed his family. It's the dope-heads and the hoodlums.

17. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Thats why I have the oldest Truck and the ugliest boat trailer at the
    landing.LOL

18. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Reminescent of 2 weeks ago when I was night fishing at a local park. The gates were closed so I parked my car and walked inside. After 45 minutes I returned to my car to find all of my rods gone! I was heated to say the least , but eventually decided to leave. Pulling out of the lot , I looked to the right at the laundromat that was closing and whaddya know - all of my rods lying on the ground! Throwing the car in park , I leapt out and the thieving a$$ owner sees me coming and runs inside and locks the doors! I picked my rods up and left. This is a prime example of stupidity coupled with latent undue laziness on their part. Luckily , my tags had expired and I did not wish to involve the cops since I got the rods back. Not to be bigoted or anything but he should have taken his portugeuse or whatever latin a$$ up to BPS and brought his own! Hell , he has to leave me in the dust as far as income goes because he was driving a 2009 Mercedes , stupid fool!!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:!!!!