Boat Trailers in North Carolina

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Katmaster Jr., May 21, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    We just got a boat and the previous owner told us that we don't have to have lights on the trailer to use the boat in NC. And someone else told me that they heard it was legal to not have lights on the trailer also, as long as you can see the vehicle turn signals, and brake lights.

The wiring on our trailer needs some work, but is what I was told true?

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    no thats wrong according a dmv officer where i live in n.c. at least he pulled me for no lights a year ago. he said they changed the law on all that. something about if it sticks out more than six ft then you have to have lights. i think your o.k. with a cement mixer or something like that. might want to call the dmv to make sure.

3. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I not sure about the law on lights, but even if they are not required, I would not take the chance. I would be awful upset if someone hit my boat. Lights help people to see it. Could ruin a fishing trip. It's not worth chancing it. Kind of like fishing with a rusty dull hook or a nick in your line, and we all knoiw what happens with those scenerios.

4. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Glenn is right better safe than sorry. The way some of these drivers are, they might run over u with lights on.

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    this is a little off target but you guys talking about people running over you going fishing. last week i was heading to badin and came up to a stop sign with a car behind me and one already at the stop sign. when i get stopped i notice a 18 wheeler wanting to turn on the road im on. i cannot back up because the car behind my boat and i cannot tell how close i am. the woman in front of me puts her car in reverse and here she comes. i blow the horn but its too late. BAM!!!. i get out and it didnt hurt my truck but it did a number on her car. i asked if she want to call the police but she refused and to the lake i went. i felt bad for her because she was tring to help someone out but got her car messed up tring to help someone else.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ok, thanks for the info, I know it's a lot safer with lights, we're getting them fixed this week. But a State Trooper rode behind us yesterday after we picked it up and we turned in front of him and everything and he didn't pull us or say anything. I live only like 2 miles from the boat ramp to a river here, I was mainly just thinking of taking it today to make sure it runs as good as the previous owner says.

Zakk

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    shoot if thats the case i would hit the water. its tuff to set there and look at a new boat in the yard.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah I think we will just go out around here today, we just lined up a friend to come Tommorow evening to fix the wires, it's very minor problems that will be easily fixed by someone that knows about that kind of stuff.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ya, you do have to have lights on a boat trailer. Plus, if you did not, you would setting yourself up for a liability issue if someput your motor through their grill.

Wiring one relatively cheap. You could do a whole trailer for probably $50.00 as long as you do not have to buy the light housings.

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

If you can see the lights of the tow vehicle around the trailer you should be okay. The way the law is written is non-specific about type of trailer. As long as you have a clear view of the tow vehicle's lights it should pass. In this case you DO need reflectors on the trailer however. This is in OUR experience, so you should still check with the DMV.

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the info, like I said we are getting them fixed tommorow evening so it's not a problem at all.

Tight lines!

12. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    you can buy the complete lighting setup new waterproof lights wiring and the male and female plugs for around 50 bucks takes a very short amount of time to run the wires and hook it up and well worth every cent you pay. I wouldnt have any thing twoing behindme without lights on it.

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Merle, where can you buy that from? I don't think we'll need that, but it might be better.

14. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    wally world bps cabelas most any place that sells marine stuff dealerships for bots but you will pay more. I am sending you a pm with a link so you can see what i am talking about

15. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Put the lights on the trailer,zak. In doing so, you just might save somebodys life. How much is That worth ?

16. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I just pmed him a link for the lighting kit for 25 bucks from bps he can find the same thing locally even some auto parts houses carry them kits. worth every dime then toying with old wireing every time ive bought a used boat with a trailer i change out the lights and wiring so I know that its all right and no issues while going down the road. ligths save lives including your own.

17. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Another thing about those light kits or just about every trailer I know. The manufacture uses the frame for the ground side of the lights and after a year or so, the lights don't work do to faulty grounds or greasy ball on your hitch so if you're going to run new light wires then run a ground wire all the way to your lights and you will always have working lights every time you hook up. I run an extra ground wire on every trailer I have which is 6 by the way and I never have to work on the lights, just hook up and go. By the way when you cross state lines, your trailer has to be legal in that state also. Thats why there is universal requirements on all trailers of different sizes which makes then legal in all states.

18. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the link, I think the guy coming tommorow will be able to fix them fine, but if not we will get that new kit, esspecialy for that cheap.

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Fixed up the trailer lights yesterday. Was very easy, cost only a few dollars too.

Zakk