Boat trailers bearings

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by cliff n york, Jun 14, 2006.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    how often do you pack your wheel bearings

2. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i have the ezlube axle on my trailer,the manual said 1 small squirt with a grease gun every 1200 miles and a total repack at 12,000.just moved from south carolina to texas,1189 miles pulling the boat with no problem

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I repack at the start of the season. and squirt the bearing buddies after 300 o so miles.

4. jholman

jholman New Member

State:
    Columbus Mississippi
    I repack after the season so that any water doesn't sit over the winter. Same with 4x4 wheel bearings better to do it after the hunting season.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I m with Leonard. I like to see the bearings before I go to putting a lot of trust into them. I was once in my friends pickup when a tire passed us. Before we could say "what the fudge", our boat trailer started dragging on the highway. Several hours later we got home wiser, and several days later my friend was several hundred dollars shorter. Think it would have been prevented if he had looked at his bearings in April.

6. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I like to check my bearings at least twice a year, more if I hall the boat a good distance. I'm about 70 miles from the Pacific Ocean, so a round trip is always 150+ miles and salt water. I wash everything down and run fresh water through the motor after a trip to the coast. I also check the bearings just in case. Like AwShucks said it's easier to check them here than on the interstate
    Don

7. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I repack my bearings every year replace the seals etc then i squirt grease into the bearing buddys after every trip .

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I repack my wheel bearings twice a year, once before fishing season starts which is around March, and once before duck season which is around October.

9. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Why grease those bearings again,I went to an oil bath hub. have at least 3000 miles and havn't replaced a bearing or race yet.Go to http://www.liqualube.com/ :cool2: keep ur nose to the wind ur powder dry and ur hull wet.......

10. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    ire pack mine about twicw a summer

11. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    the only bad thing about the oil bath is you lose that seal and they do go and at the most inopertune times your stuck they also make a big mess. if you blow the seal and your using grease you can catch it and at least you stand a whole lot better chance of getting home to make repairs. oilbath your stuck right there and if you dont catch it before you leave you will coook the bearings on the road. it was like when they used oilbath for air cleaners its outdated stuff anymore.

12. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've always carry a spare hub with me, so i have never been stuck:eek:oooh:

13. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I never had a bearing fail. So I dont carry all them extra parts I feel if I need to carry all the parts everytime I go fishing I would get rid of the boat. Proper maintanance will prevent the loss of bearings. Now cross the country I can understand carrying spare parts . It really is amazing how many people do not maintian thier bearings properly on thier boat trailers. or on thier cars and pickups too people have forgot about that stuff wince the inception of quickie lubes etc.

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Repack Mine After I Stop Fishing For The Season, When Hunting Season Starts.

I Have Bearing Buddies & I Use Synthetic Waterproof Marine Grease. I Think That A Lot Of Problems People Have, Sometimes Isn't From NOT Greasing The Bearings But Rather That They Are Using The Improper Type Of Lubricant.

When I See One Broke Down On The Road & I Get A Chance, I Always Like To Say, "The Grease Worms Gotcha Huh ?"

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have been wanting to convert to oil bath but as far as I know they dont make the kits for 6 stud hubs.I'm with Mutt though in that if you lose the lube you are a done duck.I would certainly carry a spare hub.One thing lots of folks forget and maybe its not exactly"bearing care" but you should stop and check things.I have preplaned fuel and rest stops for most of my trips and they just become routine.Most bearing problems result from some one assuming all is well from the last trip or "things were ok 6 months ago when I had the boat out last.I always try and stop after 50 miles just for a quick check of everything on the trailer from the light wires and safety chains to the transom saver.I also feel my hubs and take a quick look to see if any grease is leaking or being thrown out.SO FAR I have never had a problem on the road other than losing the line off one of my spinning reels,because I just left it flapping in the breeze.:embarassed: :tounge_out: :roll_eyes: I'm sure the folks behind me had some interesting stories to tell when they got home.:big_smile:

16. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    how do you figure its outdated