Boat Trailer

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by smhmc6, Jul 10, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    This probably is the wrong place for this, but I really want to stay somewhat local for this. Anybody have or know someone who has a trailer for a 14' flat bottom jon boat that they would sell? I think its about the hardest thing I've ever tried looking for.

2. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Not sure what you want to spend, but the marine store on Broadway here in Wichita, I think it is Wichita Marine, quoted me around $800-$900 for a new galvanized trailer at the beginning of the summer.

That may seem pricey, but trying to find a used one that size is like a needle in a haystack I am afraid. Keep an eye on E-Bay also, you might get lucky and find one fairly close.

3. jaybird78

jaybird78 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had the same issue a year ago I found a guy sell a jet ski trailer for like $200.00 so I bought it and went and bought a piece of square metal tubing and extended the tounge and also bought a 8ft piece of metal angle rail and cut it in half and added it to the sides for support. and then built two buncks out of 2x4's covered them with maine carpet. after the buying the trailer I think I spent another $100 for all that material. Just a suggestion hope it helps.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I thought Academy had brand new trailers for jon boats for about $390.00.

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jeff, $800-$900 bucks is a little more then I want to spend. Thats more then what I spent on my boat brand new. I know that I could have opted for a trailer from tracker when I bought my boat for an extra $750... but I just couldn't justify spending that much cause I thought I could find a used one around. Man was I wrong... it is like a "needle in a haystack."

I have been looking on ebay, but they all seem to be way too far away to pick up. There is a brand new red one for like $350 shipped... but I think a red trailer with a green boat would just look ridiculous, not to mention it doesn't look all that sturdy. I guess I could paint it, and my boat only weighs 135 pounds. I would just be worried about driving long distances in it, but it may be my only choice. I will have to go check out that place on broadway though. Also have to check out that Academy. Never heard of that before... is that just in Oklahoma or what?

Don't know what I'll do, in a sense I don't need a trailer because the boat is so light... but it sure does take up a lot of space in the back of my truck when I have to pack for fishing trips (and also wouldn't be able to take it to school with me when I pack up for that:wink:). Anyway... thanks for the suggestions guys.

6. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just went and checked out academy online... and that is pretty much what I'm looking for. Still a little more then i wanted to spend... but I think I can bite that bullet since it is new (and isn't a ridiculous red:smile2:). Thanks, you guys always seem to have the answers.

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    So one more question... from what I understand and what I've read, as long as the "operating weight" is under 2000 lbs. then I don't need to tag it or anything right?

8. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    You are right in kansas you don't tag a trailer under 2000#

9. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Went and got one at Academy after work today. They actually have two sizes, and I wasn't sure which one I wanted to get. Ended up, when I got there the smaller ones they had didn't have the bow straps installed or something and they basically weren't assembled yet. That sure made my decision easy... but the best thing was that they guy cut me a deal without me even asking for one because I drove 180 miles to get the other one. I don't say that so people will rush down there and take advantage of them... but I do want to say that I was very impressed with their customer service. I didn't say anything but that I was planning on getting the smaller one, but I didn't want to go home empty handed for my long trip and the bigger one is probably the right one safety wise anyway. When he was ready to ring me up he surprised me with a deal.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Glad you got your trailer, and it sure makes a person feel good to know his suggestion had some merit. Now, just practice safety and have a ball.

11. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Will do, and again I appreciate the help. I gave you reps last night but I'll see if it lets me give you more, cause I really appreciate the help. I think it was said before that finding a used one is like finding a needle in a haystack... well finding a new one for a reasonable price wasn't easy either, but I think I came out with a decent deal. I will have a blast and will be safe too... my friends don't call me "careful Steve" for nothing :big_smile:.