Boat trailer tires" whats best"

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catfishrus, Aug 1, 2006.

1. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i just came from santee and had a blow out on my dads boat trailer. we both had lund boats with eagle trailers and they came with carlisle tires on them. my dad had a knot to pop up on one of his a while back, so he got it fixed. meantime i have heard bad reports on these tires. one fellow said he blew out all of his. it sucks to tear a fender up on a high dollar boat trailer because of sorry tires. i have a few pictures of this and we where lucky to see something was wrong right before it blew out. these tires dont have many miles on them as you can see from the pictures and we checked the air preasures before we left home. so we are in the market for tires so what is the best brand for a boat trailer and what should i look for in a tire as far as rateing and such.

Attached Files:

2. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    catfishrus,

I had the very same problem with Carlisle tires, I trailer at least 15,000 miles per year went and had a total of 2 blowouts, had a big knot come out the side of one tire and had the tread separate on another after 4 incidents, the last one was with Adam Foster on the board here and those semi's blowing past us at 75+ did me in.

I went and bought Goodyear Marathons, have over 18,000 miles on them, no wear, no problems, best trailer tire I have owned bit high on price but just knowing you can trust them is worth the higher price, they have been on the boat now for a year and a half.

With Carlisle tires they just can't take the pounding of all the chuck holes out there on the road, and I really believe that that is what does the damage to the tires, deep chuck holes, the one with Adam ( CatfishKiller69) we hit a chunk of angle iron on the road and it peirced the steel belt on the tire.............Doc

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have 2000 miles on my Goodyears now with no problems at all.

4. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Catfishrus,
    We run Carlisle tires on all of our trailers. We have over 3000 trailers with these tires. One thing that can damage any tire is dropping it off the sharp edge of a boat ramp, driving over a curb, etc... The reason most trailer manufactures put these on their trailers is their "normally" the most dependable. I'd talk to a couple of tire stores and get their recommendations but i'm betting they say Carlisle. Were these tires very old??? And how often do they get pulled down the road???
    Any tire will become out of round if left in the same position for long periods of time. Also make sure you get the mosy PLY tire that you can. In our case it's usually 10 ply. Just wanted to let you know what we use. Hopefully you'll have better luck with whatever you get next.....

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    savage308 these tires may have 2500 miles on them. the boat gets used at least once a month at the least. i have had several tire dealers to tell me that carlisle tires are good but i know better. this boat is treated like a bady. in my opinion they are used is because they are cheaper than others. most folks dont pay any attention to the name on tires when purchaseing a boat as we didnt. i would contact carlisle but i have already heard they wont stand by there product. these tires are 4 ply on the thread and 2 ply on the side wall so they are a little differnece in these than yours. what gets my goat was we where thinking about changing them before when the first one had a knot come up on it and put it off. now we got a bent up fender that could have been alot worse. the excuse a lot of tire companys say is you ran off the road with it but this one is on the driver side and we was on the interstate. i been looking at the goodyears but didnt know for sure.

6. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I'd check into getting at least a 10 ply then in what ever brand you decide on. Depending on your rim size you might be able to get up to a 14 ply.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Michael go to good year and get you some marathons about 6 or 8 ply. If those tires are built right they won't pop knots out on them. I have used Carlie's for a long time but in the last year or so they have had some major problems. Be sure you get tires made for a trailer and never get anything below a 6 ply. Heat is more of an enemy to tires then pot holes. If those tires had 2 ply side walls they were flexing to much and was heating up. That made the inner wall separate from the outer caseing and caused the air to fill up in between the outer wall and the inner lining. ie a separation.

A tire is only as strong as the weakest spot on it. There for a 2 ply side wall isn't fit to be hauling a good size boat and running down the interstate at 70 plus.

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks for all the replies brothers. i will have new goodyears today. we bought 7 new tires mounted and balanced and taxes for 611.00 for those that are wondering. our size was 205/75 r14. for those with carlisle tires beware!!! thanks again.

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    go to the good years the craplyles as we call them here are just that crap i lost one coming home from the dealer. you wont find nothing but goodyear on most bassboat trailers too as the craplyles wont hold up. i have 45k on my marathons on my 95 tracker the craplyles i got 7 miles from the one lol.

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Just As Most Have Stated, Buy The Goodyears:wink: . Carlisles Were Good For Years But Lately I Have Had Nothing But Problems With Them.

I've Had Them On My Boat Trailer & My Swamp Buggy Trailer, Which Uses 14 Ply Low-Boy Tires. The Problem Was Always The Same, Sidewall Blowouts.

I Switched To Goodyears & Have had ZERO Problems:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: Elliot

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    First thing is to make sure that you have "Trailer tires" which are designated by ST if I remember correctly.Then I would check the load range rating ie A B C D.You must know the weight of what you are trailering for this.NOT the weight listed for your boat!!!!:confused2: TOTAL weight of everything with fuel on board including the coolers ,water skis, fishing equipment.lawn chairs etc etc that we all throw in the boat without a second thought.You would be surprised at how much all that junk in the storage compartments weighs.:tounge_out: Then buy tires for that load range or larger.My boat takes Ds and when I got it home from the dealer it had two Ds on the ground and the spare was a C.ASSUME nothing when it comes to boat dealers.There is some question as to which is better ;regular trailer tire construction which has beefier sidewalls or radials.Lots of Bass boats have radials on those fancy wheels because they look "good".Go to tire company websites and read about trailer tires for all the latest scoop.Doesn't matter how good the tire is if it isn't inflated proerply to the correct COLD tire pressure.Trailer tires usually have higher inflation pressures.I have Titan tires on my rig and have had no problems what so ever.I am thinking of going to the GY Marathons though when these are done, if I can find them in the proper load range.If you are overloading the tires they are overheating and causing the sidewall problems.Good luck:big_smile:

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    jim i had st at the beggining of the numbers. load rating of "c" but they where only 4 ply tires. i think it was heat problem as stated before. we have a family relative that also has dual axles and he said that everyone of the carlisle tires that came on his boat in 2003 have blown out. he told us a while back about this and we let it slide to long i guess. anyway its all worked out now. got me new goodyears today. thanks for the extra info. jim. learning all the time.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If you're a SAM's Club member, you can go to the samsclub.com web site and order from several sizes of Goodyear Marathon tires and have them sent to your local store for installation. Prices are hard to beat.

And if you need the entire wheel as well as the tire (maybe your wheel is old and rusted), you can get the Marathon tire pre-mounted on several different styles of wheel from Overton's or Barts at pretty good prices.