Boat Trailer Tire Wear Question

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Mr.T, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The tires on my boat trailer seem to be wearing "funny" - the boat is just over a year old and I've got somewhere around 3000 miles on the trailer tires. I've never rotated the tires. Tire pressure is around 45 lbs.

The photo shows the passenger side tire, looking toward the back of the boat so the "outside" of the tire is on the left. The tire on the other side looks pretty much the same, with the wear pattern on the opposite side.

As you can see in the photo, the outside 2 treads are almost gone, the 3 in the middle are barely worn at all and the 2 treads on the inside are worn but not as bad as the outside.

Any clues as to why the tires are wearing so badly? The obvious answer might be an alignment problem with the trailer - if that's the case, how do I get it fixed?

Thanks!

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Sounds to me like you axle may be bent up in the center. Does it tend to weave as you pull it? if so you may have an alignment problem.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, tis a bent axle. Never overload a boat trailer. They are not made for weight.

4. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Marty, didn't you say the bearings were loose earlier in the year? I have a backtrack trailer and my tires wore evenly on both sides much like yours. If i were a betting man i'd say mine wore from bearing slop. Since i've repacked the bearings the wear has quit on each side.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Loose bearings would cause them to wear on the inside, not the outside. Gravity will force them down causing them to lean in at the top making the wear patterns opposite of what he has.

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I forgot to read exactly where they were wearing. :roll_eyes: On my trailer they were feathering (dipping) on the outside edges and wore much the same with exception of even wearing on both sides. Its seemed to quit after repacking the bearings.......... Marty have you done a repack since they were loose?

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Haven't checked the bearings but will do that.

The tires are wearing on both the inside *and* outside, on both wheels -- the outside is wearing more than the inside but both are way more than the center 3 treads.

Not sure how a bent axle would make the tread on the inside of the tires wear like it is.

Can a trailer shop check the alignment of the wheels?

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Looks like the axle is set back or to far forward on one side or the other.

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    With them wearing on the inside and outside. I would have to say the tires are under inflated.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    T,check the tire pressure on the sidewall.Trailer tires are made to run pretty much at the max pressure.I screwed up a set by not doing that.You might have to much weight on the trailer also.:smile2:

11. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    If that was a car tire I would say Tire pressure.

12. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've had several trailers, not all boat, that wore thread wrong. I blame that on the manufacture. I don't think they are precision bilt. They just weld them togeather and put them out. I bet they are not machine alighned. I just switched them around and played with the tire pressure.

13. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Most trailer axles are manufactured with a lil arch in the upward direction. This allows them to flatten out under their specific weight rating. If they didnt have this arch built in, they would bow past centerline under load, causing the trailer to handle badly. I would check to see if you still have an upward arch when unloaded. Your axle may not be square to the trailer, or you need to check for a bearing problem. Good luck!:cool2: