Boat Trailer Registration?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Knoxcats, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    You learn something every day. I brought my new boat home yesterday from North Carolina, so today I had to go to the County Clerk's office to pay the taxes so I could register the boat.

Did you know our boat trailers require a licence plate for a one time fee of $92.50??? That was a surprize!

They kept my Statement of Origin on the trailer, and will be mailing me a Tennessee title on the trailer.

Yet another opportunity for the state to get more of our hard earned money.

I've owned several boats over the years, and have never had a plate on my trailer. Passed many officers...never ticketed or stopped. Oh well. Just thought I'd mention this, since I never see a plate on a boat trailer at the ramp.

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    In Illinois, we always had to have a trailer licence plate in my long memory.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you lucky dog, we have to renew ours every year at $35! just like a car liscense plate! when i bought my new boat in KY last year the dealer told me KY doesnt require tags on trailers.

4. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    We've always had to have one in Mississippi as well.

Doing the right thing is always best. Even though you see many other trailers without tags, you can rest assured that you are legal. The price you quoted seems kind of high for just a trailer. Seems like mine is about $25 or so.

I saw this somewhere and it seems kind of appropriate here: "Doing the right thing is like wetting yourself in a pair of dark pants. You get a warm feeling but nobody notices." :p

Edit:

I misread your post. My tag also has to be renewed every year. One-time fee of $90 isn't all that bad......

5. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I bought and registered my boat last summer and I did not have to get a tag for the boat. Not sure whats going on with that. After reading the post, I looked at the TWRA site and the tn.gov site as well as my local county without seeing anything on a boat license plate. I haven't even seen any on the boats on the road here.

Hopefully that is just an east tennessee thing.

6. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Here in NY it costs me $41 a year for my boat trailer. It goes by the wight you register with. Mine is over what I should have at 5000 lbs. My boats don't waeight that much and I keep saying I will lower them and each year I don't. I will lower it one of these days to 2000 and save money. My pontoon trailers will be heavier because my boat must weight more then that, but I never weighted it with the boat on. By lowering the laden weight I can save some money. The cost of gas alone at close to $300 says I may have to fish closer to home soon.

7. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Arkansas is 28.00 bucks for a license plate that never expires. Best thing this state ever came up with.

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Thats cheap used to have to tag our trailers every year now its a one time fee and thats it. you sell the boat and trailer the new owner pays a one time sale tax on the trailer and thats it. got cheaper for us our boats cost 10 bucks every two years.

9. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    After paying the state 7.00% sales tax plus $80.00 local taxes, another $56.00 for three years of registration, the $92.50 trailer registration just ticked me off! I think I'm going to research this a bit more...I've NEVER seen a boat trailer in Tennessee with a tag.

Oh well, I'll quit my whining and enjoy the new boat.

10. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
  11. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    In Tennessee on all new trailers you are given a certificate of ownership but you are not required to have a license plate on your trailer..most people go ahead and title the new trailer when they purchase a new boat at the same time. This is for insurance prupose only. Tennessee does not require trailer license except on commercial vehical trailers.

12. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I just moved to cincinnati from clarksville and I had to liscene my trailer here and its $46for just the trailer.

13. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I too, just purchased and registered a new boat. But I did not have to pay any trailer tax, or license fees, other than the boat registration fee. I do not have a plate on my trailer at this time, neither does my brother in law. Is this something new? I am thinking the clerk at the cleark office was confused. Imagine the impact if all trailers have to be plated.:crying:

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Get ready as all trailers will have tags and soon. Now if its 20 ft should have a tag on it.
    Some people get tickets from out of state when traveling cause they don't have a tag. My uncle got one in Fl.
    Pete

15. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Is this a new law?:crying: Are they giving warning tickets or traffic tickets? I am currently in Knoxville, I reside in the Clarksville area, a little concerned now, since I have my boat and trailer here.

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Its been on the books for a while. Tn even has Trailer tags now that you renew ever year.
    i have a neighbor that is with the Public service checking big trucks. and he is the one that told he about it 2 years ago. Guessing it will be a while but they will start getting tickets for them/
    The ones getting tickets now are from Tn going out of state.
    Pete

17. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I've lived in Tennessee for over 50 years and had a boat trailer for many of them. I never heard of registering a boat trailer in Tennessee. I've never seen a boat trailer with a Tennessee license plate on it.

18. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Update: I had the TWRA boat registration people call the Knox County Clerk's office. I get my money and certificate back tomorrow.

19. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That's good to hear Knoxcats. Most county clerks offices will rip you off in a hurry if they can get by with it. A couple years ago I bought a rusted out 86 Toyota 4x4 truck that was barely running and had no exhaust. I gave $1000 for it. The lady at the c.c. office tried to tell me the truck was worth more than that. So she gives me this form for the fellow I bought the truck from to fill out and sign saying that the price was correct. The big deal to me was the guy lived about 1 1/2 hours away. It was a bunch of crap IMO. I think some of them women down there at the c.c. office are on a power trip or something! They have given me the run around a couple other times also.

20. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Thanks David, I am glad to here that you were able to get it resolved. I have had a boat registered in Tennessee since 1992. Never seen nor heard of a trailer tag requirement. I think I too would be upset over this because none of that money goes back into the TWRA or any out door program. Hope to see you on the water! Daryl;)