Boat trailer question

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by janzaldo, Jun 14, 2009.

1. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hello every body, hope all is well. I bought a 1976 Glasspar and I am having trouble with the trailer. It seems one of the tires went flat and was sitting in my buddies driveway for about a year now. I tried to take the wheel off but it seems to be stuck! I have been spraying W_D 40 every day but have not been able to take the wheel off. Your input would be greately appreciated.

Jaime

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    PULL THE HUB ASMEMBLEY; if needed replace it all ,a little cost now but might save u a lot down the road ,just a thought :wink:

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Good advice by Dickie. I would replace it all. But if you have to absolutely get it off, place a 4x4 against the rim and smack it with a sledge a few times. It will come off. Don't hit the rim with the sledge or you will dent the crap out of it. Make sure you use jackstands. You don't want to smack it and knock the whole trailer off the jack. Do not lay under the trailer and hit it.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sounds as though it has been used in salt water (knowing you). Go over it with a fine tootheed comb if it has and replace everything needed. Make sure the metal is solid and hasn't rusted out and left the paint covering the rust. You may want to strip or sand blast the trailer and apply new paint and primer. Least you will know what you have. It it has been in salt and set up that long, do replace those bearings, at the least. Good luck.

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    make sure you check them wheel bearings if its bad enough the the rim is stuck to the hub i can only imagine how bad them wheel bearings are. i would use pb blaster if you can find it, works much better then wd40.

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    while your at it its a good idea to replace both sides, that way the whole trailer is done:wink:

7. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I'v had the same thing on one of the boats I bought,
    usually the problem is that the center hole in the rim is just a bit small for the hub that goes thru it,, Im a BIGGG guy and never had any luck hitting the tire,, but it WILL come off when hitting the rim , just be sure to keep the rim moving arround and hitting alternant places.
    dont wast yer time with a small hammer,,, get the SLEDGE!!!

8. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    and after all that i would add bearing buddies to your trailer:big_smile:

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've got some tough ones off with a cordless impact driver.
    If it won't get it off then not much will in one piece.

If it were mine I would probally go ahead and go the whole 9 yards.
    Axle, springs, hub assemblies and tires. Cheap insurance.

If you got that kind of problem I wouldn't be surprised if the spindles and axle wasn't weren't scarred or rusted.

Go ahead and buy you a spare tire, hub, and bearings.
    Buy the tools you need to change them and keep it all in the tow vehicle.
    Nothing like loosing a bearing a 5 oclock on Friday evening and pulling into a boat dealership 200 miles from home. I learned my lesson and it was an expensive one.

10. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thank you every body! I really appreciate your input. This is my first boat. I guess I have a lot to learn.
    Hi Lawrence, your right that all the boat was used in saltwater. I did check the wheel bearings and they had grease. but I or I should say we repacked the bearings with grease. I replaced the tire valve and filled the tire back up but I am still concerned about the wheel not comming off. Please excuse my ignorance, I have alt to learn. One thing is for sure, I will take all you gentlemen's advise and learn from your past experience. I plan on making a list of all the parts of the trailer that I check. I find it it is above me I will take it to some one that knows about trailers.
    That is really good advise about getting insurance. I am looking to find the right type of insurance like Mark said low cost insurance for my piece of mind. I bout the boat from my buddy, very cheap. It is going to cost nearly as much to register it.

Jaime