Boat Trailer Problem

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by rookie cat, Jun 24, 2009.

1. rookie cat

rookie cat New Member

State:
    ok
    My boat trailer lights went out yesterday morning. The turn signals and break lights work but tail lights wont work when truck lights are on. They have been working fine, wires look ok. Anybody have any suggestions. Thanks, Kyle

2. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I don't know how your trailer is wired or set up, but some have seperate bulbs for different applications. Open up the taillight cover and see how many bulbs you have in there.
    It probably is a wire. I don't know which colored wire works for running lights, but it is one of them. You might have an exposed part of that wire that might cause it not to work.
    When I got my new Sea Ark, I wrapped all wires I could see in electrical tape. Some times rocks and debris hit the wiring when we fly down the road that will nick up the wiring.
    keep us posted.
    It could even be in your truck wiring. Try hooking it up to someone else's rig and see if you still have no taillights.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Check your ground connections. Very unlikely both bulbs would go at once.

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I am with J.C. on this one Ground wire issue:tounge_out:

5. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    What kind of vehicle are you pulling the boat with. Some trucks have fuses under the hood specifically for trailer lights, 1 fo tail lifhts, 1 fo left brk and 1 for the right brk. I have had one of these to blow on me before.

6. hawkerhino

hawkerhino New Member

State:
    KY
    all newer trucks with towing packages have seperate fuses for the trailer. so if something happens with the trailer it will not blow the truck lights also. some are under the hood and others are under the driver dash. owners manual should tell you which one it is.

7. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    can u say " time to get a test light" :roll_eyes:

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hey guys, sounds like most people are not reading his post...

"My boat trailer lights went out yesterday morning. The turn signals and break lights work but tail lights wont work when truck lights are on. They have been working fine, wires look ok. Anybody have any suggestions. Thanks, Kyle"

That within itself eleminates a lot of the answers we have tried to provide him. Sounds at though he was saying they were working then quit. I'll cast my nickel with the ones who has voted for a ground problem.

9. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Sounds like a ground problem to me also! Just my Two cents worth!

10. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Mine does that once in a while, clean the contacts on your connector. Check ground.

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If it was a ground, The taillights would'nt work. In a double filiment bulb, one filament is for the taillights and the other is for the brake lights/turnsignals. Get a test light, hook it up to a good ground and turn on your turn signals and check it at the trailer connector. It's not impossible to blow 2 bulbs at once. Especially if you launch your boat without unplugging it. Maybe one was already bad and by the time you noticed it both went out. Extended periods under water with the brakes being held on will blow a bulb..

12. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    Get you a test light and check to see if you have current on your connecter coming from the truck. If you do check your tail light sockets for current. If you have current at your light sockets and the bulbs are good you have a ground problem. Current from the truck but not at the light sockets you have a bad connection at your connector or broken wire. Just start checking the wire and narrow it down to find the problem. I am not familiar with the newer trucks but I would look at what the others say about you having a seperate fuse for trailer lights if there is no current coming from the truck. It is much easier to fix it than to explain to some one else what to do. Good Luck and any questions just pm me.

13. rookie cat

rookie cat New Member

State:
    ok
    Well you guys have come through again. It was a fuse. My truck has a fuse system for the trailer lights. I replaced the fuse and the tail lights worked but the parking lights did not. I then went to the ground wire and it was loose so I fixed that and all lights work now. This site is great. Thanks, Kyle

14. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Glad we could be of assistance.