boat trailer makeover

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by catfish kenny, Oct 22, 2007.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I took my boat off of my trailer this weekend to do some serious work on it over the winter.I bought this trailer with a ole 74 14ft polarcraft and then my brother bought another boat and give me the oppratunity to make the best of the two so I kept my ole trailer put the other boat on it.I have some serious issues to deal with and as I go I am gonna try to put em up.This is the start,I now have the lights cut off ,and she has some serious cracks.

2. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am experiencing coumputer difficulties here are the first set and the next will follow

Attached Files:

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Awh but look at the potential she has. Now got to work and weld those cracks and seams up.:big_smile:

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This is the others befor I started,I am gonna extend the rear end aproximatley 2 feet,the right side behind the rear of the wheel is cracked and twisted.I am gonna put new wheelbearings,lights and possibly tires.give it a new paint job and new boards/carpet. I love the way this trailer was modified for my old boat because I never get wet in or out just walk the planks.I can get it in almost anywhere.That is nice.
    The only way I am not gonna redo this trailer is if I can pick this prospect up I found dirt cheap but then I am gonna be diong it to that one.I plan on taking my boat with me to the Kentucky gathering next year and I want it all to be in top shape befor pulling it that distance.It aint much but its my baby.

Attached Files:

6. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Hey Kenny,

When ya get that Trailer all fixed up, ya might try some Tide on that Concrete slab. It looks like it needs some help too....lol

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Its just fine....gotta work on my vehicles somewhere:eek:oooh:

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    heck...letter go! alittle crack will never hurt ya... my ole lady has been yellin for yrs. about hers! my thinkin is ...it hasn't changed much lately so it can't be too bad yet! im meanin if it was gettin bigger...we'd have a problem worth addressin...LOL!! !!!!! rollo:smile2:

9. pinpunch

pinpunch New Member

State:
    ohio
    Love to see pics. I am a newbie & need more posts before this site will let me see pics. Will check your pics. as soon as site will let me. I have three boats & four trailers. Never owned a boat before. This is my frist year of serious catfishing . The people on this site are helping with their posts. One more year & I think I will be worthy. Have not fished any rivers yet. P.B. so far is just a little 12 lb. 8 oz. channel; caught using fresh beef spleen. Chubs, & gills, I can get easy around here. Shad are what I really want to use, can't get any close to home yet. Thanks for your posts.:amazed:

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If I read this rite! Ya are killin me!!!! LMAO!

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Rollo,
    You are bad to the bone!ROTFLMAO
    Glenn

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i knew i could get one of you to buy it!! :smile2: i was just messin with you all!! by the way... if you ever have to fix crack....use J.B Weld!!! works great and no leaks!!!!........pond boat was a leakin!! rollo:tounge_out:

13. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Like I said before,you are bad to the bone!

14. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kenny,
    She doesn't look as bad as I thought It might,the way you were talking about it. Being the handyman that you are you will have it looking like new in no time. I get down your way I'll stop in and she how you're getting along with the project.
    TTYL,
    Glenn

15. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Thanks for the pix.
    One of my projects is to add side rails to my trailer.

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The side rails make it nice loading but spare nothing cause there easy to wreck:wink:

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My buddy FuzzFace and I both did our trailers this past spring. I took two pictures to somewhat show you how we did our side rails. Sure makes loading the monsters one heck of a lot easier in cross winds. The upright stock was 1 1/2" tubing and the member running underneath the trailer is 2" tubing. This way we can slide the uprights in or out to fit different boats. Of course, the bottom photo is not all that clear. LOL

Attached Files:

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Before we started on the trailer, it was in a condition similar to yours... and there was so much rust we couldn't even weld the cracks back together. We treated the rusted areas as best we could, then bought some 3" angle iron. Cut it to fit the boat, then bolted it on in several places to strengthen the trailer. I wouldn't be afraid to drag this trailer anywhere a car could go... it sure would follow.

Are you running a flat bottom boat?

19. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    probably got all of those cracks init from hauling all of ythose big cats out of the river. Later Andy

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Andy be nice Shucks cannot help it if cant stay out of the water....by the way" thanks Shucks" Real good pics and looks like you did a real good job ofcourse.