Boat Trailer Axles

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Gordhawk, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Does anyone else have a boat trailer with Dexter EZ Lube axles on it? I just found out that is the kind of axles I have on my boat trailer,and I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with these. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Glen, I have had Dexter EZ Lubes for years, and I think its a good deal on a boat trailer. Mine are 6000 lbs. and I've had unbelievable service out of the set I now have. This particular trailer has been pulled over 250,000 miles. However, I pack them because of brakes. In the past I've had grease bypass the seal and get on brake shoes making them very ineffective and a mess to clean up. If your trailer doesn't have brakes, no problem. Its a good way to flush out old contaminated grease, and you can see what was in there as it comes out on the outside under the rubber plug in the cap. The spindle is actually drilled in the center so the grease is pumped back through the bearing to the outside. If the stuff looks bad enough you can then disassemble and repack, but if it still looks pretty good, you can feel confident your bearing is in good shape. Just be careful if the axle has brakes that you don't force any grease past the seal. The longer a seal has been in service, the more the chance of that happening. Didn't mean to be so long winded and there are probably some more opinions out there. Hope this helps.

Sam

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    What Sam said!!!
    Mine have given me no problems at all. I probably pump more grease through them than necessary, more often than necessary but it is a very easy way to know that the grease is clean and fresh...W

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thank You so much for the information. I have a lot to learn about this type of axle. One thing I have learned already is,the seals that come with the bearing kits are too small. I don't know where I can get more information on this type of axle and how to maintain them. Maybe I'll try to get ahold of Dexter and see if they can help me. Thanks,again!

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Glenn take the old seal to Bearing Hquarters, and they will measure it up and can often get it the next day. Later Andy

6. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Glen, I'm not positive, but I think if you will look on your axle there should be an aluminum band around it with a serial number. I had a pair of axles warrantied a few years ago and I had to remove the bands and send them in. If you can get the serial # and call Dexter, I'll bet they can give you bearing and seal #'s, measurements, or anything else pertaining to your axle. It's been a few years, but they were a very good information source. Give them a try.

Sam

7. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa

I was able to find a couple of seals up at Dave's Marine in Ft.Madison. Now I have the 2 seals that came in the bearing kits that I don't know what I'll do with.