Boat trailer advice

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catcam, Apr 3, 2006.

1. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm needing to buy new guide arms for my trailer. I have a galvanised trailer and I need to replace the guides. The ones I have now came with the trailer, and have a roller on them about 10" long, and my trailer lights and plate attached to them.
    I was sitting, stopped in traffic on the way to the boat ramp and this bad driver hit my driver side guide post, knocked it clean off. This idiot didn't even stop! Didn't hurt the boat, thank goodness!
    So I've got to replace my posts and lights, any advice on what and where to buy? Much appreciated. Jennifer

2. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Would it be possible to make one? You could probably get all of the parts from Wally World. You might have to go to Home Depot or Lowe's to get the actual post and maybe even some of the hardware. It's a thought anyway.

Cabela's or Bass Pro may also have what you are looking for.

3. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I was in a hurry and bought some for my 16' flat bottom from Cabellas. They work but they are too flimsey for my taste. There is a trailer manufacturer about 50 miles down the road. I get parts from them or fabricate my own. I have gotten to the point that I like to see what I am buying. Northern Hydraulics has a lot of trailer parts also.

4. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
  5. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Those would work but you could probably build them for less than you could buy them. One thing I noticed is that is $60 just for the posts and mounting brackets. That does not include lights or brackets for lights. If I read that right. I think you could make that for much cheaper. Probably $25 or so.

I built some guides for my boat a few years ago but they were cradle type (horizontal) rather than vertical. I looked in the outdoor catalogs and saw that they wanted $60-80 for them. I made them for about $15.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If you're going to put new lights on the trailer, buy the LED lights - last forever and won't burn out when you forget to unplug the trailer before backing it into the water.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jennifer, I'd definetly have some made and replace both sides. If you like the style you have, I'd take them up to your local high school or a Vocational/Technical center that has a welding class and see if the instructor would let students do it as a project. There is always advanced students who get tired running a flat bead and would jump at a chance for practical work. If the schools are not available, check for shade tree mechanics. They can make you some out of metal which will be one heck of a lot better and cheaper than Bass Pro or the other rip off stores. LOL.

8. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That's exactly what I did. I got in touch w/ my local high school and they referred me to the vocational school. I dropped off the boat on Wednesday and was on the water by Saturday. They welded an extension off my trailer, then pipe up the sides and then slipped 2" PVC over the pipe. Worked perfect, and since they did it as a project, all it cost me was material. I think I spent like $25.

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Evening Jennifer, I have A Vendor That I Deal With Here That Supplies To The Wholesale Trade. I Repair Alot Of Trailers & Deal With Them On A Regular Basis.

I Will Give You Their Website Address & If You Have Any Problems Getting Them To Ship To You, Let Me Know & I'll Ship It Thru My Company. The Address Is WWW.expediter.com.

HTH, Elliot