Boat tool kits??

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Salmonid, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ok, What tools do you folks always take with you in a tool kit?
    Im new to this game but have the following as of today.besides the obvious safety equipment.

Screwdrivers (both types)
    Pliers
    Cresent Wrench
    Duct Tape
    Spare set of plugs and socket, ( newly added today)
    Spare fuses for switch panels
    spare drain plug
    Flashlight and floodlight
    spare small anchor
    Extra Rope

OK, you folks who have been in the boating business a while, please tell me what else I should bring or add to the kit.

Thanks
    Salmonid

2. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Spare lights for navigational lights
    I'm an electrician so I carry a Fluke meter
    Spare prop and the socket and breaker bar to change it with

3. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Jumper cables or those thing that will do the same thing but have there own battery source.

A Sharp knife is a good idea. Incase you gotta bail out quick or you gotta get something of the prop.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have two parts to my tool kit, mechcanical and electrical.In the electrical I carry tape,electrical wire,crimp type connectors of various sizes,one of those crimper/cutter/stripper tools,fuses,spare bulbs and plastic ties of different sizes.I also have a lighter in there to do the shrink wrap thing on the connectors.I carry this stuff in a sealable plastic kitchen box you can buy at Walmart for 2$.I would add a set of Allen wrenches to your mechanical selection.You CAN"T carry to much but you sure can be short something!!!!!!:eek:oooh: :smile2: :big_smile: PS the owners manual for Depthfinder and engine can also come in handy:lol:

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Just As Josh Said, I Carry A Jumpstarter Box That Has An Air Compressor Built Into It. I've Never Needed But If Your Truck or Trailer Tires Should Need Air It Would Come In Handy. I Carry A "Needle" Adapter For Filling Up Balls & Air Mattresses Etc. It Has Helped Many People Out That Way.

Try To Buy Whatever Tools You Can In Stainless Steel, Even In Freshwater They Will Rust On You. I Carry A Battery Powered Mast/Transom Light In Case I Should Have A Lighting Problem.

If You Have Spade Type Fuses, They Have Curcuit Breaker Replacements Available, You'll Do Yourself A Favor If You Convert Them. One Last Thing Even Though I Have A Dash Mounted VHF, I Still Carry A Handheld One As A Back-Up

6. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I carry a cheap-o socket set 1/4" and 3/8" drive from autozone i paid like 8 bucks for, interchangable screwdriver with about 20 attachments, test light, duct tape, blacktape, sidecutters, channel locks, knife, lube, carb cleaner, string, and good quality wratchets b/c the ones in those cheap kits are crap.

7. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Pretty much what everyone else has said with the addition of 8' of fuel line and hose clamps. First aid kit is a must. Vise grips small and big. You'll never find me without some JB Weld and Silicone.

8. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    with all those tools, where do you put your fishing gear?

j/k

9. charliep

charliep New Member

State:
    Texas
    I always liked good electrical tape and wire ties of various sizes and lenghts in a tool kit
    charliep