Boat Tool Box

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Mildog, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    What tools do you guys keep in your boat tool box? Have you ever broken down and did not have a tool that would have fixed you up so you could get home?

Basic items I can think of:

Pliers
    Phillips Screwdriver
    Flathead Screwdriver
    Leak repair fix all (Duct Tape)
    Knife/Utility Knife
    Wire Cutters
    Prop Wrench

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tom my tools that I carry reads about the same as yours. I also carry extra boat plugs. Since the days of cell phones we don't have to carry as much. Help is not far away. Should be an interesting thread. Thanks.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    i carry a .50 caliber ammo can from an Army suprlus store. In this watertight container, I have a complete screwdrive set, philips and standard, a complete 1/4" and 1/2 inch craftsman socket set, needle nose pliers, water pliers, slip joint pliers, diagonal cutters, spare fuzes, plug wrench, compression tester and two spark plug testers. Believe it or not, I still have a little room left over. Saved my hind end several times, and other people too. LOL

4. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    I would like to pack that much, but I would like to save on weight. I may end up with something like you described though.

Updated List

Pliers
    Phillips Screwdriver
    Flathead Screwdriver
    Leak repair fix all (Duct Tape)
    Knife/Utility Knife
    Wire Cutters
    Prop Wrench
    Extra boat plugs - Added by Mickey
    Needle Nose Pliers - Added by AwShucks
    Fuzes - Added by AwShucks

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  5. That's a good container idea, any other ones out there? I keep big bags of that silica gel stuff from where I work to help keep the tools from rusting. I also use smaller ones in my tackle box. ;)

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i got one for you add gorila glue it works great as a stop leak even better when wet

7. lucescoflathead

lucescoflathead New Member

State:
    Western Pa.
    I always carry a multi tool when I'm fishing. Mine is a first generation Leatherman tool. With it, a roll of duct tape,a set of vice grips and a hammer, I don't think theres anything you cant fix. Todd

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I carry some screw drivers, plug wrench, extra wire and cutters,extra fuel line and spare bulb, a sparkplug or too and some extra drain plugs, electrical tape.

9. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I got one of those multi tool kits from Sears that look like a big brief case. It's got pliers screwdrivers, electric testors, two sizes of sockets & ratchets, wire stripers and a few other odds and ends. I've never once had to open this kit on the water. I try to do my very best to see that everything is done to the best of my ability at the house, so I can enjoy my time fishin'........but there WAS that time I did everything except check the torque on the trolling motor propeller nut. Spun that sucker right off first time I hit reverse. Then there was the time I forgot to put the plug in........sunk the dang boat right on the loading ramp. There's always somethin' that's gonna slip past an old man with a wife that's mouth never shuts.

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    All good stuff mentioned,,,

And, I carry an electrical test light, and jumper cables...

Hey Cecil,, You DO carry duck tape don't you??? LOL

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You could make out a check list and have her go through it. It would give her something meaningfull to talk about.

12. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    I carry the basic tool set sockets ratchet extension plairs wire cutters strippers tapes extra plug extra spark plugs some extra wire in different gauges. I also carry a small assortment of nuts and screws. I carry a extra prop for the trolling motor and for the main engine I also carry extra prop nuts for both as I have lost the nut off the trolling motor before. I also carry extra oil and some carb cleaner for cleaning parts if need be. Fixed a guys boat out on the lake one day thanks to what I carry. I store it all in the front bow of the boat under one of the seats. Nice thing about a bow rider trihaul lots of room for storage.

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I carry about the same plus vice grips. Also I always carry electrical tape and zip ties. with my tools

14. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I just carry some basic hand tools. Screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable wrench......The little bit i know about fixing boat motors, i probably wouldn't know what to do with any other tools, LOL. Keep them in a rubbermaid container to keep them dry.

15. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    I carry a paddle, a whistle and a sign that says, "Help my dumb ass...!!! " :laugh1:

16. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    Pliers
    Phillips Screwdriver
    Flathead Screwdriver
    Leak repair fix all (Duct Tape)/ or Gorilla Glue - I prefer the tape.
    Knife/Utility Knife - (May also be used for wire stripping)
    Wire Cutters
    Prop Wrench
    Extra boat plugs - Added by Mickey
    Needle Nose Pliers - Added by AwShucks
    Fuzes - Added by AwShucks
    Cresent Wrench(s) - Added by Cantstopgrandma (duh, I cant believe I did not think of that one)
    Electrical Tape - several suggestions
    Spark Plug Wrench w/spare plugs - several suggestions
    Socket set - Several suggestions
    Electrical tester/test light - Several Suggestions
    Jumper Cables - Added by Snagged2....Good one
    Extra OB Prop and nut - (Dont know if I can afford one...)
    Extra Trolling motor nut/cotter pin and prop.

OR.....Sign that says "Help my Dumb Ass!" ....this is probably cheaper..although not as reliable...:Happy:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  17. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Long time ago I had a small johnboat down on the river and the shear pin broke so I took my pliers and cut the shank of a couple hooks to use. It got me back to the ramp. I still don't keep extra shear pins on board but I should.

18. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    My Dad did that trick on an old 9.9 Evinrude we had. I think he used an extra cotter pin. Just took it easy getting back to the dock. I dont think my 225 has a shear pin...

19. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Oh YEAH........ I FORGOT I had duct tape. I got zip ties TOO

But I'd be too dang tempted to make that final "accidental" bump into her......

On the REAL side.......I give her hell all the time and she gives it right back. I don't say nothin behind her back I won't say to her face. Regardless of what may pass between us in public is rarely EVER the real truth. It's just the rules of the game that keep two old fishin' farts alive.

20. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    probably the most used stuff in my boats tool box is a wire stripper/cutter/combo pliers,some extra 12 gauge electric wire, spare fuses and lightbulbs for the boat and trailer,and crimp on or screw on electric conectors,I have an old boat and carry an extensive tool kit,most of these items save a trip or two every year,as lights or bilge pumps or something decides not to work when out on the water.