Boat titles

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by BILLYP, Feb 15, 2007.

1. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Just to let everyone know NC has passed a law and it went into efffeect back in January that all boats 14' and over now have to be titled.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There will probally be some complaining about it and I'm not crazy about it myself because I dont think their motive for doing this was for the benefit of boat owners or prospective owners.
    NC taxes arent real high but NC taxes everything even if you paid taxes on it when you purchased it.
    These democrats will tax sex before its over with.

BUT this will greatly help in the age old problem of stolen or storm damaged boats.
    A heck of alot of boats are stolen in Florida primarily every year and are redistributed throughout the states because of lax laws.
    The same goes for storm damaged boats. Alot of the damaged boats and engines from the gulf states have been sent north, east , and west.
    This law creates a paper trail on a vessel just like a car.
    With a paper trail you can find out a whole lot in a short time.

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    So now I have to chase down the paperwork to title my 1648 Jon boat?

Great!

:sad2:

4. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Anyone who purchases or transfers a motorized vessel or sailboat 14 feet or longer or who owns a personal watercraft (jet ski), will be required to title the vessel effective Jan.1, 2007. In most cases, lenders require a title as a condition for granting a loan on a vessel."

I assume by this it means vessels purchased after Jan. 1, 2007

So are vessels owned before that which are not jet skis exempt?

I'll be calling today
    [/FONT]

5. CKT

CKT New Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    curious to know what you find out !

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Here in Ohio its boats 16' or more, motors more then 10hp and all pwc's have to be titled.

7. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I live in kansas just across the line from oklahoma. I wanted a set of titles for my tracker that I bought from the original owner, kansas doesn't issue boat titles so I titled it in Oklahoma for a couple of years and paid property taxes in kansas also. I got the titles from oklahoma and switched the registeration back to kansas. I now have a set of titles in the lock box, just in case anything ever happens that I need them. It don't matter where You live the Taxes on playthings is high.

Carl (stubby) in kansas
    Tracker,Mercury,Abu & Me.

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Does the new law even apply to non-motored boats? In VA any boat that is motorized, even electric motors, have to be titled.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    In NC we've always had REGISTER any vessel powered by electric, gas, or diesel with the NC Wildlife Resources Commission.
    This law is going to throw it over into the Division of Motor Vehicles hands.
    I think what its all about is taxes. If you havent paid the property taxes you dont get a renewed registration making it just like a car.

Yep, in NC we have to pay county property taxes on tagged vehicles every year. The tax is based on the age/value of the vehicle.
    My 86 s-10 blazer is taxed at 15 dollars a year and my 97 s-10 blazer is taxed at 35. A new Monte Carlo would be taxed at around 200 a year the first year or two. All of this is county taxation. Tax rates vary by county.
    PLUS add in the cost of renewing the registration. Thats a state tax.

This is a compliance law. They are forcing you to pay your taxes to get the use out of your toys.

10. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    I know and if you get caught on the water with a untitled boat they will take it from you and sell it off to pay your taxes on the boat. It just one more way on NC trying to get more money for the fat cats on the hill. Why don't the leave our toys alone.

11. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I have a couple of boats, how do I go about getting them titled?

I know for my Bass Boat I got a tax bill from my county on it this year and never did before, I thought it was because I had moved to a new county.

My other boat didn't have taxes on it though. it is a little Jon boat only worth about $150 or so.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Something I forgot to post above. The paper trail this is going to make will be just like a car.
    The way its always been and in fact I just did it myself to a boat I junked.
    I went to the tax office and told them I junked the boat. Take it off my taxes.
    Or I could have said I sold the boat and it would be taken off my taxes.

Titling through DMV is going to show them that what I'm telling them is correct. The purchaser will automatically have it show up on his tax listing without having to list it if he lives in NC.
    the DMV and tax offices will know who the current owner is and who to bill.

13. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    if you havent titled your boat or if you have multipul boats then go to the NCWildlife website and download the form, then you have to send it to Raleigh. It only costs about 20 dollas per boat to get them titled. Taxes are what are going to kill you.

14. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
  15. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    You only have to title boats you purchase after the law took effect or boats you transfer after the law unless they are PWC-jet skis. All boats owned before the change are grandfathered.

I talked to the office in Raleigh and got that tid bit.

16. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    see, they need to distribute that information to the conservation agents. Me and my buddy got in trouble last weekend becasue of that.

17. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    ok, mine are all prior to the change.
    one from 1996 and one from like 2003