Boat Titles

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by AwShucks, Mar 19, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Against better judgement, I went ahead and got a project boat for my spare time and to spend my spare dollars on. LOL... This boat is a 16' 6" Falcon, manufactured in Houston, Texas. The deck will need to be replaced as well as all the steering mechinisims, wiring, guages and lights. It had stick steering similar to the bayou boats of Lousisiana... I want to retain this feature. It last had Texas registration which expired in May 1996. Of course the individual who gave me the boat did not have a title. My question is what is the procedure to find out how to obtain a new title on this boat? Any suggestions?

2. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Well I guess my first visit would be to your local tag office with the bill of sale and see where they want you to go from there. It should really be a pretty straight forward transaction for them .

3. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i would do as the oldprowler suggested. at least youd know for sure what you needed. i could tell you a horror story about a car that was given to me by its titled owner, but i wouldnt want to scare you! and if you never used stick steering, becareful, they can turn on a dime! charlie r

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Cpt... I had one when I was stationed at Ft. Polk. Man, filled my pants the first few times I popped the gas to that puppy and the bow rose like it did...but I sure liked them...That's why I wanted this one so bad I took it without the title. I think I have another horror story on my hand, but if I have to, I can convert it to a bait tank as suggested in another thread. lol

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    A bill of sale should do the trick I would think. Missouri titles a boat by the motor and Arkansas titles by the trailer. Don't know what Oklahoma does but it shouldn't be no problem for the revenue office or whereever they do titles and license plates.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe that where the problem comes in is that Texas is a title state. No other state will issue a title on a boat/vehicle until the previous title is surrendered. This I don't have...a bill of sale won't work.

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    if the boat has the state registration #'s on it, then they can look it up on the computer. When the #'s are not visible and the Ser # tag is damaged gone ect. You may be able to get a Notorized letter from the previous owner stating he has had the boat for however long, and he verifies he has had it in storage/farm/pond use. Good Luck I've been there. Andy