Boat Title Help

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by kennethu, Aug 22, 2009.

1. kennethu

kennethu New Member

State:
    sc
    I bought a Boat 2 years ago in nc. Well the registration ran out and I never got sc stickers because the nc ones were still good, now i am trying to get sc stickers but i cannot find title, and since i never registered it the old title was in the name of the man i bought boat from in nc, and i cannot get in touch with him because i think he might have passed away, so basically i do not know where to start. Does anyone know how to get this boat stickered in sc?

2. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Kenneth you will need the bill of sale and reg. that you got with the boat when you bought it. If you didn't get any kind of paper work when you paid for the boat, you may have trouble even getting one. You also can call the DNR in Columbia and tell them wha you got and they can tell you what you need to do.803-734-3447

3. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am going through the same thing. I called DNR and they told me that they will have to do a title search investigation. They said it may take up to 4 months. There is a form you have to fill out and mail with pics of the boat and motor.

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Kenneth hope u get it straightened out with out to much B S from the state

5. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I just bought another boat from out of Tenn., well i had gotten a better deal in NC but the guy didn't have the proper paper work. I know a man that is still trying to get his papers on his boat and didn't want to fall in that trap so i called the DNR before i left to pick up my Pontoon. So if any of you guys are in the market for a boat, please call the DNR and ask what papers you will need. SC is different than NC and Tenn.

6. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I learned the hard way, too. I bought one that had changed hands twice without paperwork. No paperwork, no sale.

Your easiest route is to find the original owner or if he has passed away, his heirs. They can apply for a duplicate title and then sign it over to you. I'd go in person to a DNR office and ask questions. I have found them to be ready to help if they can. Google search his name with the city and you might come up with an obituary. Without a connection to the previous owner, you probably are stuck with a private pond boat.

7. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    This will definitely be the easiest way. If not possible, it's a headache. Basically DNR will have to do a title investigation, run a legal notice in the NC newspapers for 6 weeks, etc. Was told it can take up to 6 months.

My question is if you live in SC, why did you never get it registered in the 2 years you had it? If you reside in SC, even if the NC numbers were paid thru the 2 years you had it, you still must register it in your state within 60 days I believe.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Iowa the DNR come out runs the hole # ....it comes back clear they give ya a paper ya hit the courthouse and ya be good to go....I am sure with the way times are it will change though