Boat Title help???????

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by flatheadsalyer1, Jan 5, 2009.

1. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Alright guys, I need some help and I know someone has the answer! I am building a 24 foot aluminum flat bottom boat. How do I get it titled here in SC, and how difficult is it ? I went to the DNR website and downloaded some forms for a hull ID number, now I have no clue what else needs to be done!!! Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance to all!!!!

2. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Here's information from the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources... Hope this helps.

Watercraft - Homemade (A reworked manufactured boat is not considered a homemade boat) Your watercraft may be subject to an inspection by a law enforcement officer.
    1. Application for Hull ID Number,([​IMG] Adobe PDF format - file size 32Kb) signed and notarized.
    2. Completed and Signed Application - ([​IMG] Adobe PDF format - file size 57Kb)
    3. Submit Pictures of the bow (port-left-starboard-right) transom of boat and of the whole boat.
    4. Fee of $40 for new registration and title

3. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I bought an old stripped down pontoon a couple of years ago with no numbers on it. I took pictures to the DNR in Columbia and they issued me a 'Home Made' registration and numbers on the spot.

4. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Some states are way too lax when it comes to homemade boats. To me, a homemade boat is a homemade boat. I think it presents problems later down the road if you have a boat registered as homemade and it really isn't. If it's an old boat, it needs to be titled as such. If the HIN can't be determined, then the state needs to assign one. That way if you go to another state with stricter laws, your boat might not be seized. Cause here in Texas, if it's registered as homemade and it ain't, you're gonna have problems.

5. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    centexcop, I couldn't agree more! My boat will be completely new Home built. I have been designing this thing for 2 years specifically for catfish and striper. I have hunted for 5 years for a boat that I could convert into what I want, but just can't get it without building my own. I will also be going by all USCG safety standards and will have the boat inspected with documentation by a friend who is an officer in the USCG. I sure do appreciate all the help, and as the project comes together I will continually post the progress for those interested!

6. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like it will be a good one... It's funny how projects turn into much longer than we expected, for me anyway... Did you expect it would take this long? A couple of years ago I finished restoring a 1950's model John Deere "50". I planned on spending a couple of months.... three years later...lol :eek:oooh:Be sure to post some pics so we can all admire it.

7. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    As long as you work within the system of the state I'm not sure what issues you would have. I bought a hull in NC a couple of years ago. They didn't require the boat to be registered, only the trailer. When I brought it to SC they didn't care about the trailer only the boat. I went down to the DNR and presented a bill of sale, after a few phone calls to the dealer, they issued me my paperwork on the spot. I thought the whole system worked great. Of course I'm the type who would rather handle it in person with as few forms as possible rather than have to deal with a bunch of paperwork. I've bought 8 or 10 different boats in different conition over the years. Some were titled, some were junked, some were from private owners and some were from dealers. I've always found the DNR office in Columbia a pleasure to deal with and can't recall ever having any problems later on.