Boat Thief

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by Coloman, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I took my oldest daughter and here boy friend fishing this morning. Well the fish had lock jaw and the wind came up. So we decided to go in.
    I thought that my daughter and her boyfriend would stay with the boat while I went to get the truck. Well I was almost to the truck when I noticed that they where fallowing me, they where on their way back to the boyfriends truck. So I quickly got in and headed back to the boat launch.
    I noticed that there was a middle aged black man walking swiftly to and down the pier. As I backed the trailer into the water I kept my eye on the black man. Just a the trailer started in to the water the black man got into my boat!
    I slammed the truck into park, grabbed the key from the ignition as I got out.As I was running down the pier I was yelling at the man that he had 1 second to get out of the boat or I was going to start shooting ( I had no gun with me but had my hand under my jacket like I was getting ready to pull one out of a shoulder holster)!
    The man jumped out of the boat and threw his hands in the air! I fallowed about 20 feet behind him telling no to turn around and and to keep walking of I was going to put 1 in him!
    As all of this is going on another man on the pier had called the cops. When the cops came they told me that he needed a boat to get away from the title wave that was coming and he needed to get to Ft. Worth.
    To make a long story short the cops said that they had dealt with him before, and that was really crazy and would probably be in a home soon.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is a shame you or we I might say have to put up with this kind of crap but the guys in blue were wrong about him being in a home. The will send him to the hospital and they will talk to him for a couple days and then turn him loose. Since 1975 they put into effect a law that forbids them from institutionalizing some one unless they are a direct threat to the public and sad to say stealing doesn't fall into a direct threat. But on a side note I am glad you caught him before he figured out how to get away with your boat.

3. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    He could not start the boat. I had the keys in my pocket. I guess I'll have to look into getting a CHL.

Pretty sad when you have to start doing that kind of thing just to go fishing!

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Yep Bubbakat your right. It is called PET and if he can act sane and answer a few questions then he will be free to leave after a 48-72 houe evaluation. Most of which is him sitting alone in a hospital room. The doctor and social worker will give him the evaluation. The social workers is called a mini mental and the doctor does a more in depth eval. And thats it. If he "passes" he goes if he fails he gets admitted ubtil his medicare/medicade runs out, unless he is committed by a judge then he goes to a state facility.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Benji you covered this quite accurate. Thanks , :big_smile: I have a question do you have a wig on your christmas list? When I look at your avitar , even as far away as So. Illinois,the shine nearly blinds me. Just wandering. Merry Christmas

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bill, good that he didn't have a gun and glad things worked out for you.

I had something similiar to happen in Colorado Rockies back several years ago. I had taken my 14 foot aluminum boat off my camper and left it down by the lake. There were other boats there and I never though anything about it for plenty times in the past years I had left it there with the motor on it. I then pulled the camper up the hill to the camp ground. Got all set up, think we eat something and later I decided to go down put the motor on and do some fishing. Well when I got back down there two guys had my boat out in the lake fishing! I called out but they couldn't hear me so I started blowing my truck horn. Then they came in. I was pretty upset and told them so... they didn't have much to say other than get in their car and leave as fast as they could. They could see the boat was registered in TX and not a local boat.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Benji even if committed by a judge they won't stay over 30 days unless they have committed a felony and then the stay is up to the dr and when they think he is ready to reenter society.

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Bill, I'm glad it all worked out for you..... I probably would have gone crazy.. you handled it quite well.... Nice to have someone with you to help keep your cool..

bayrunner ray

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Bubbakat I think some of it has to do with their diagnoses and if they are a danger to themselves are others. I don't pretend to know all of the laws and medical terminologies but I do know what I experienced in EMS. I know we transported more than a few "court commited" people from one facility to another for different reasons a few of those were "frequent flyers" are "long term". Three of them I know we transported at least 3-4 times ayear for 14 years and they are still being bounced around the system today. Not charged with felonies but a danger to themselves and society. These were "lockdown" people that pretty much were restrained and are medicated at all times due to the harm they could inflict. I doubt that the doctors will ever give them the all clear. I do agree with you that most "commited" people about 30 days and back out to freedom they go.

10. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Ray,
    Thanks, the guy that called the cops just happened to someone fishing on the other pier. It good to know that some people will still get involved to help others.

11. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Glad to see things work out well for you. I do hope that the man can get help for his problems.
    Bill

12. WLG

WLG New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I hate theives!!!!!!!!

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Bubba Kat Glad it worked out well for the shame is we have people the shape that man is walking around I feel for his Family