Boat taking on water

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by JRA, May 4, 2006.

1. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a brand new 2006 16' Deep-V (welded aluminum) that has at least 10 gallons of water in the hull after a 7 hour fishing trip. When I take out the plug, water shoots out like a high pressure hose. I have had it back to the dealer twice, and they claim the hull is not leaking. The first time they said it was a tear in the speedometer cable, but it did it again (with no change) the next time I took it out. I could sure use some advice. I bought a brand new boat, and I am not sure that the hull is even sound. It is pretty frustrating. The back wash has never come over the transom but there is a lot of spray when the boat is on plane. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would check all the connections on the live well systems for leaks. I have seen this happen before.

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Did you try a new plug just to be sure? When you pull the boat out of the water, leave the water (that the boat took on) in the boat. Take a towel and dry the hull and try to see if there is a crack where water is dripping.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I had a leak in smoker craft riveted aluminum hull. I trailered the boat and let it dry out. then I leveled it out with the trailer jack and ran water from hose in the hull. maybe 10,15 gallon and watched for the leak. replaced 2 lose rivets. After dark the water showed up better with flashlight shinned along hull. follow drip trail to leak. but it might be a pressure leak. good luck.

5. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    These are some good ideas. Thanks for the suggestions. I will try a new plug and dry the hull while water is still in the hull to loook for leaks. The dealer checked the live well and said there were no leaks, but I will fill it up and check it again.

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    One sure bet to eliminate the leak coming from the livewell plumbing is to plug up the fill and drain fittings from outside of the boat.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Be sure and check all the thru hull and transom connections.The live well might not leak but the hose from the pump could be loose at either end.My boat had a similiar situation so I put it in the water opened up the bilge access plate and just watched.Sure enough the baitwell pump locking nut was loose and simply needed to be tightened.Do not assume that any thru the transom hole is sealed simply because you see sealant around the screws etc.It will take a little time and patience.The first thing I would do is follow Catseemans advice and eliminate the hull by foolwing his instructions.Make sure your plug is adjusted for the drain hole also.Most of them can be adjusted.Do you have a bilge pump?If so check all hoses and connections.Good luck ,keep us posted.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Had the very same problem with my brand new Tracker. I finally removed the batteries to get to the live well pumps. One pump had a broken discharge connection. I'm sure it was broken at the factory when the hose was connected to the pump. Pulled the pump and dealer gave me a replacement.. they would have covered the labor but I would have had to taken the boat to them. Much faster and easer to do myself.. since I don't have a trailer for my boat stays at my dock.

9. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    i am currently have the same problem.and will be trying to locate the leak this weekend. will post if any thing turns up.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jeff, not knowing your experience with boating, I don't want to insult you. However, the rubber plugs commonly used to plug the drain hole have a screw mechanisim inside them. Put the plug in the hole, turn it clockwise to expand the mechanisim. Then when you flip the lever, (if your using the lever type) it will seal the hole. Sometimes they have a loose fit and water seeps into the boat. Don't just trust the plug straight from the store, make it expand to the hole.

11. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. It is still taking on water, but I have not been able to figure out the cause. I replaced the drain plug (twist to tighten type), looked for leaks while the boat is in the water, looked for leaks after I trailered the boat but before releasing the drain plug, and I examined as well as I could the live well hoses (I rarely use a livewell). I can't find anything. I am going to take it back to the dealer and let them figure it out.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I found my leak with the boat in the water. Was very easy to find where the water was coming in once I could see both of the live well pumps.

Note: You said you rarely use the live wells....makes no difference, for the pumps don't have to be running to cause a leak. Anytime the boat is in the water these pumps are below water level and will leak if there is a bad connection or hose.

On my boat the bilge pump couldn't cause the boat to take on water for it takes suction inside the bottom of the boat and discharges above water.

13. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I think taking it back to the dealer and having them make it right is the best way to go since it's a brand new boat. I know that if I bought a brand new car and it had problems I wouldn't waste my time monkeying around with it and trying to find the problem myself. Same should apply to a brand new boat. You paid good money for it NEW so as to not have these kinds of problems in the first place. Make them find and fix the problem or replace the boat.

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    If the dealer doesn't want to check it out and fix it, call the company and explain to them the problem and also the dealers comments. They may take the dealership away from them if they don't take care of thier customers. Just a suggestion.

15. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    A mechanic at a local marina told me the best way to find a leak was with a water hose. Make sure all your plugs are in and all your valuables are out and start filling it up with water. When the water gets above the leak you will see it running down the outside of your boat.

16. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i would most definitely put the burden on the dealers back. You paid a chunk of change for somethin new..and it doesn't work. man, i would REALLY be raising some heck with someone.

good luck

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

agreed if you bought new and they can't fix it they should replace it. If they flat don't want to do anything for you contact the manufacture of the boat and let them know of your situation. I bet the problem gets taken care of quickly after that.

18. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Put a foot of water in the boat. Look under for wet spots and circle with magic marker.

Repeat in front of dealer and ask for your money back or trade for new model.

WHAT BRAND IS IT??????????:embarassed:

19. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would say one of three things has happened to that boat. It either sank, or was repaired or traded off. Old post.