Boat suggestions

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by thecatman, Feb 17, 2006.

1. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i need help finding a boat thats cheap and that i could easily take in creeks and rivers by my self since i usually dont have a fishing partner thanks for any help provided

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bryon, go to e-bay and do a search on jonboats... there is quite a few in Texas, and keep looking you will hit your price range.

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Get the local paper and go look around. Check marina's for old boats. Boat for sale books.

4. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    thanks for the help guys but what size should i look into getting?

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

If you are going to be hitting creeks and such by yourself I would recommend a 12 ft john or no bigger then a 14 ft.

A little small 4.5 or 6 h/p motor or a good trolling motor.

Now of course you do know there is a disease that comes with a boat purchase.
    It is called 2 foot Titus.:)
    I'll let one of the others explain it.:)

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

2 foot Titus is when you purchase a boat, it's 2 foot too small.

You upgrade to a boat 2 foot larger, and IT is 2 foot too small.

7. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    For small waters you can't beat a 12' semi-V boat, in my opinion. One thing to look for is to get as wide a boat as you can. I've owned a couple small jon boats (12' & 14') and they were like 42 & 48" wide respectively. I used to tell people that I was inspecting the bottom of the boat when people would come over to see if I needed help. Kind of like an over sized canoe and for a fairly good sized guy, not a good width. My current boat is a 12' semi-V 60" wide and a very heavy boat. It had a covered bow and a steering wheel and was rated for 35HP motor. I took it off the trailer ONCE, to convert the boat trailer into a combo trailer for the boat and a utility trailer and tried to pull it through the yard. I put all my weight into it and could only move it a few feet at a time. But, weight translates into a solid feeling boat on the water. I stand on the bench seats to fish some of the time and this boat is rock solid for being only 12'. I use a 9.9 Johnson and it pushes it fast enough for me and gets into some shallow places. Now that's where the extra weight will cause a problem if you going to use it in super shallow places. But I would rather get out when I plan to get out and pull it through those places than to find myself suddenly sitting in the water and then deciding that this might be a good place to get out and pull the boat through whether it needs to be or not. Of course this decision is greatly influenced by how many people on shore saw the whole thing and how fast I might want to get out of there. A cheap place to find small boats is around large bodies of water. People move into the area with small boats and soon realize they won't work and sell them for next to nothing rather than drag them home. When you do get one post some pictures, I'm sure we would all love to see it.

8. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My 1983 12 foor semi-V Alumacraft (which I'm about to sell) served me well in the ICW shallows for Flounder ... sometimes less than a foot deep, but since it only weighs about 125 pounds, it doesn't draw much at all.

It's not all that wide (47" beam) but handles fairly heavy water as well as it does shallows.

All in all, it was stable, easily launched/recovered by myself and, with a 6 HP motor,made over 16 knots fully loaded with two guys, trolling battery, 6 gal gas tank, cooler and tackle box (of course there wasn't a lot of room left over :) ) ... 19+ knots alone.

But I mostly fish alone, so there was plenty of room for me and the dog. When alone, I put the gas tank and trolling battery forward of the center seat (extended gas line and trolling motor cable to 10 ft length) and so she handled excellently and popped on plane very quickly.

Bottom line is ... my history supports the good advice you're getting.

9. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Can't beat a good flat bottom boat , say 14ft cause as Bubbakat has told ya 2 ft titus.
    If ya really want to fish small creeks and small bodies of water, I'd say a Belly boat is the way to go. Packs up in a small space they are cheap to buy and ya ain't lived until ya get something rubbin' your leg while it dangles in 8ft. of water.:frk-big: ........
    I have two of them and they are fun to fish out of. If ya get a good'un on it will pull ya around a bit. Plus, ya really learn a body of water fishin' out of one.

10. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    ive got a tube that ive fished out of for about 5 years now but i cant really set any jug lines or trotlines in my tube thats why i need the boat and thanks to everyone that has replied every little bit helps

11. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    go to kiwikayak.com and check out their angler. If I was buying a boat and knew I would be by myself I would buy this one in a heart beat. It is small, light, stable, and will accomodate a small motor. Good luck

12. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    For small creeks and loading by yourself, a 12 ft 32" will work, I used one for 12 yrs, just moved up to bigger water, never needed or wanted a bigger one on to small stuff. I had a 7.5 hp. Put the boat in the water, then put on the motor. Carried it in the back of my truck. That did eventually loosen some rivets as I went down some rough roads. Carry some shear pins and a pair of needle nose pliars for when you hit something.
    Jim

13. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i have a 1542sea nymph with a 25 johnson on it. i like because it has 22" sides which makes it very stable even with a 42 inch bottom. i have fished some of the smallest creeks you can think of in 2' of water. i run jugs and limblines in the arkansas river with no problem at all. never had a moments worry in the river. it is by no means a big lake boat, but it works great for rivers and creeks. get a good trolling motor to ease up those creeks and you'll be fine.

14. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Brandon,whatever ya decide on make yerself fimiliar with the boatin laws and saftey issues.Do some research on the waters ya plan on usin too.Make sure ya got room fer a first aid kit bro,its a must!

15. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    And a good tool kit and first aid kit.

16. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Brandon,
    Up in your neckof the woods, a 12 ft flat bottom jon would be great for creeks and such. You can sometimes find them cheap sitting out behind barns. Get the word out to some of the oldtimers around at the feed store or church and you might be surprised how cheap you can find one to fix up. There is plenty of advise here on how to fix about anything. As long as it does not have a hole in it or major cracks you can tighten up lose rivets pretty easy.

Have fun and post it if you find a fixer upper. I have fixed up more than a couple. Alot of satisfaction fishing out of one, especially when someone else wanted to scrap it.

17. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Brandon, find yer self a jon with high sides if ya plan to run lines. We had a 12' jon that was narrow and had low sides, this thing was kinda scary at times. Other boats making waves or both of us at the same time leaning the same way, not sure how we stayed alive in that boat. I've got a 15' jon now that is wide and high. I love this flat bottom. Very stable.

18. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Brandon,

I fish from a canoe and a kayak and I love both of them. Each has its advantages & disadvantages. The advantage of both is their portability...which is really nice in small water. The small river I fish is access limited so being able to throw the canoe on my back or the kayak on my shoulder is huge plus! The canoe has a weight capacity of 1000 pounds & my kayak has a 450 pound capacity. The kayak is probably more stable than the canoe because my center of gravity is closer to the water, but the canoe is stable too -- just a matter of getting used to being in it. In fact, as someone mentioned with their 12' v-bottom, I will often stand in my canoe and cast as I float down a river while fishing for smallmouth...I haven't had a problem...yet LOL!!!

19. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i think i may have found a couple of boats but im not real sure yet it depends on how much they are asking for them. thanks for everyones help and dont hesitate to post more suggestions and i will let everyone know when i get my boat

20. spoonkilr

spoonkilr New Member

State:
    california
    ebay or garage sale...found great boats at tgarage sale specially little boats