Boat stuff again....

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CarolinaCatJack, Oct 15, 2008.

1. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    OK y'all, here I go with the boat stuff again.....Pop pop, you're going to be a little disappointed, but I've decided not to buy the boat that you saw this past weekend. I had a little trouble with it.....Like keeping it running and such. I can build a car/truck motor, but have no luck whatsoever with boat motors.

So, here's what I've decided: I've been looking long and hard at the SeaArk Big Daddy CC and the Carolina Skiff DLV218 Elite and the DLX 2390 EWs and I think I'm going with the Skiff. It's wide and long with a huge front deck and plenty of walking-around room for when you're fighting the big boys. Built-in cooler under the seat (for Man-Colas, of course), 22 gallon baitwell, 40 gallon livewell, and big enough for the four of us, or just me and whoever. Throw about 12 rod holders on there and we're in business. Plus, I've heard from a bunch of people that the Carolina Skiff handles the water at higher speeds than the SeaArk does. Yeah, I know....but I like to get there quick. If I get a DLV, I'll outfit it with a Yamaha 115. The DLX would get a Honda 150.

The best part of it all is, the wife has given me the green light. Mama says it's OK, you'd better go ahead and do it before she changes her mind. So, by the time the warmer weather rolls back around, I should have a new Skiff out in the barn behind the house.

I need to give credit where credit is due. WylieCat (who owns a Skiff) kinda swayed my decision. After he told me what the advantages were, I had to check it out for myself. Thanks Dieter. And just think pop pop, both of our big ol' bellies will be able to stretch out with a frosty cold one. :smile2:

Later y'all....

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Glad she gave you the go ahead to buy a boat. I think she could take you if'n she needed to. Good luck and one of these days I fish down your way again.

3. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Matt that's awesome! The wife thing too:smile2: Does that skiff have the flat or vee front to it? I hope you enjoy it and if you ever need someone to fill that 3rd or 4th spot............I'm in! :wink:

4. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Matthew,I have a good friend that has a carolina skiff,21ft.He removed the center console and put a small console on the side and it freed up a lot more room,you could dance in it now.If you fish wateree a good bit and see a side console carolina skiff with fishtales painted on the side,holler at him and check it out.

5. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    The DLV 218 is kind of both. The nose starts out flat and molds out to a vee. The DLX is just flat. Even though I like the hull design on the DLV a little better, I'll probably go with the DLX, just because there's more room.

And I'll tell ya what, I'll trade trips with you. I'll come fish Sandy Run with you and you come fish Greenwood with me. Sound like a plan?

6. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Yes, you are very, very correct. Mama loves Daddy, just don't piss her off. Then she'll beat my head in. It falls in that "She Loves Me to Death" category.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I know how that works. My pontoon is still in pieces and some as I can get it back together I'll be happy and she will my wife. She says I talk about it to much but at least she let me buy it.

8. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    If you go with the DLV Elite, Id go with the biggest motor you can put on it. That decking adds alot of weight. If I hadnt found the Seapro skiff that I bought I was going to get a 198DLV. I didnt like the extras that the Elite had to offer for the type of fishing I do on the lakes. It seemed to take up alot of room for alittle extra storage.

Good Luck.....

9. preacherfisherman

preacherfisherman Member

State:
    SC
    Name:
    Tommy
    I got the 198 DLV, and its probably the best fishing boat I have ever had, but it has a few draw back. Getting it off the trailer is tricking, going on the trailer is easy, but coming off it likes to get caught on the lip of the front bow. It rides good to but with the winds blowing hard you will get wet because of the straight sides on it. I also took out the back shell of my boat it makes a lot more room in the back the only thing you lose is the live well, but you have plenty of room for a bait tank if you take the shell off. The cheapest price and best selection on the Skiff's I could find was at linconton marine in Ga. just right across the bridge in on 378 if you leave McCormick S.C.. My friend also had a 218 DLV and took the shell off and he really liked it. If you want to see what it looks like, or rides like let me know, I would be glad to let you see it or even take you fishing.

10. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Tommy, the wife and I are headed down there tomorrow morning. I've heard from a lot of people that they're the best around. Besides, they're the closest to me, seeing as how I'm in Greenwood.

As for the fishing trip, I appreciate the offer. I'm always ready to fish. :wink:

11. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    I like the DLV Elite because of all the extras, but to tell y'all honestly, I'm leaning more toward the DLX, simply because of the fact that it's longer and a little wider. I'm no shrimp (but if I was, Patman would lick me before he stuck a hook through me....). I'm 6'3" and 285lbs. My 16 year-old is 5'10.5"/220lbs and my 13 year-old is 5'8"/185lbs. We be's some big folks! I've gotta have some stretching-out room.

I'll post on Monday about what I hear at Lincolnton Marine. I fully plan on plugging the BOC while I'm down there too. See if any of those guys have heard of us.....

12. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Matthew I have a 218 DLV with a 115 Suzuki 4 stroke. By far this is the best fishing boat I have ever had and I've had a bunch. Very dry ride and not too bad in rough water. First trip out was in 2-3 foot wavers and rollers. I have a 150 quart cooler mounted in the front up against the front deck and a 70 quart cooler seat at the helm. Even with the big coolers there is room for 4 big grown men to fish comfortably. I looked hard at the Elites but just couldn't justify another $5k for a belly tank and a little bit more storage. Got it from The Grass Shack in Buford, GA. Straight down I-85 a little over 2 hours from you. Great folks and a huge selection with great prices.

13. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Hey John, thanks man! I appreciate the info. I'm gonna have to plan a trip down there, but I'll have to come up with an alternate route. Greenwood is a very rural county and we're 45 minutes due south of I-85.

14. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Matthew I work in Hodges a lot and stay in Greenwood. I would go to Anderson and get on I-85 there. Straight shot down the interstate from there. The Grass Shack is only a mile or two from I-85. You can call the Grass Shack for exact directions. 770-271-7529 Ask for David and tell him John Lesperance sent you. He will treat you right.