Boat Storage

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Ol Man, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'll be putting my boat away for the winter in about a month or less. It will be stored in an unheated pole barn. Should I remove the batteries and stow them someplace warmer, or let well enough alone..? I didn't remove them last year but was that the proper thing to do..?
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Plodding wins the race. ~~Aesop.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Jeb, charge those batteries up and stick them inside a heated garage. If you leave a discharged battery outside when it's cold, it could freeze. When the battery discharges the acid inside reverts to water. Then you could have a mess on your hands.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Also be sure to top-off your batteries on the charger every month or two while they're in storage also. Or if you have a float charger that will maintain them at full charge, that's even better. Check the water level from time to time in any case.

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Yes get them out the cold. Place them on wood or some other insulating material in the garage, (acid etches concrete) & keep a charge on them. A "float charge", no more than 1.5 amps is much better for a deep cycle battery than say charging once a month. It will greatly extend it's lifespan. Its really gotta get cold for one to freeze if it is on a charger. It is when the specific gravity of the electrolyte falls that freezing occurs.
    Remember the old hydometer battery testers of old...the little balls floating in the tube. Same deal. Hot battery, lot of balls. Dead battery, balls just lay in the bottom.....Mr. battery freezes.
    :sad2:
    Hope this helps. I used to be a control electrician.

5. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i leave all three of mine in the boat,i just top off the water,disconnect the terminals,and plug in the charger....

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    When I used to have a ba$$ boat that I didn't use in the winter that's what I did to mine too. Never had a problem with them.