Boat steering

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by wannafish, Sep 18, 2007.

1. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just bought a great old used boat , question is ...it pulls a little to the left so have to put a little pressure to steering wheel to the right to stay right .somebody said that there is something on the motor I can adjust to remedy that ?Hull and everything is original and like new never repaired....Thanks

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Roy, most motors have a trim tab on the lower unit, just above the prop. If you will look at yours, you will find a bolt in the center of the round base plate. Take a sharp instrument and scribe a mark on the plate extending onto the lower unit. This will be your reference point. Loosen the bolt and turn the tab slightly. Fasten the trim tabs bolt back down. Next time your on the water, test the adjustment to see if it still pulls. If so, just repeat the process and eventually you will get the boat and motor synchronized so it will hold a straight course.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Good advice Lawrence ,to which I would add adjust the tab in the direction of pull/If its going left turn the back of the tab left.Make small adjustments!!!!:big_smile::smile2:

4. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks that was my next question as to which way to turn it.I see that down there and was dead center ..will move it tomorrow before we go out Thanks again

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Yeah, me too. I've been planning on setting mine since I bought the boat. LOL

Only takes a few minutes if that.:roll_eyes:

6. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I was looking through these post to see if anyone had steering problems and here it is i found it. :big_smile:

My boat is pulling really bad to the right. Been like that since i bought it. It has a 60 Mariner on it. How do i adjust the steering? I seen where you were saying something about adjusting the thing just above the prop. What does it look like? Sorry im pretty young and dumb but teach me once and ill never ask again i promise.:smile2:

7. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    Check this out.... the long point is to the rear

Mariner trim tab

Attached Files:

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Calvin, its been raining cats and dogs here, but I managed to slip out and get this picture. It is the left side view of a 70 hp Evinrude. It shows the trim tab - the device on the far right side of the lower unit. Excuse the grass, haven't weed eated yet. LOL.

Attached Files:

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    just remember, you want to turn it to the right. (if you're under looking up at it) couple of notches at a time and try it. ususally doesn't take much. start it from straight if it's to the left.
    gary

10. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Man you guys are awesome thanks for the help!!! Glad i found this site thats for sure. Ok i went out and took a look at that trim tab. Above that tab theres a black plastic piece that i can pop off and theres a bold under it. Do i take out that bolt and then move it? I would of tried it and see if that worked earlier but all of my tools are at work.

11. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    I think you will need to loosen the bolt enough to move the Trim Tab, Now don't forget to mark the original position of the Tab before you do move it ( for future reference ) I would loosen it about ,,, say 2 full revolutions then attempt to move the tab, if the tab is stuck then gently tap on the head of the bolt to encourage the tab to release from where it has been for some time, I don't know if it locks in place with some form of index " teeth " or if it just wedges it's self in the hole when the bolt is tightened.