Boat Steering wheel or tiller

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by davesoutfishing, Mar 1, 2006.

1. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    which do you all prefer steering wheel or tiller handle?
    I prefer the tiller handle over the steering wheel I like to be able to turn quick and it is alot easeir when setting bank poles out

2. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont know, never had a boat with a steering wheel :) Guess that means I prefer tillers :thumbsup:

3. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Fishing a small river or large creek tiller is good because of tight turns.Other than that I have no use for them.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I prefer steering wheel. More comforatable, and a side console makes it much easier to put out and pick up jugs.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    sterring wheel for me/ i get into some very shallow water and tight areas with my bassboat and have no troubles turning around. i have thought about going back to a tiller setup at times as most of my fishing is trolling but i do like the fact i am more comfortable while getting to the area i am going to fish and my bass boat gets me there a lot faster then the tiller setup i would go to.

6. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I bought my first Steering wheel boat 2yrs ago and will never buy a tiller ever again.

7. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    I like the wheel for the ease and comfort.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I used to run a tiller, but my new boat is a side console with steering wheel and I will never go back to a tiller. It turns sharp enough for me.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I like my 40 hp.tiller.I like my smaller tiller motors with all the controls in the handle,even better.I allways did a lot of fishing where shallow water,roots,stumps and logs were in the way.I could navigate all this with one hand controlling the motor,and one hand to fish with.The same with trolling.I also liked to use the motor to hold my position on and around the artificial reefs I fished.I also like to be right at my motor in freezing conditions.You have to keep on the ball with ice.With remote steering and control,it can slip up on you a little quicker.Nothing beats the comfort of remote,if it will do all that you need.Now for maneuverability.I have never found anything to beat a small 360 degree steering,tiller operated motor,with a F.N.or F.N.R. gear shift.The weakness is that you have to have and use a integral gas tank,because a hose will wrap around the motor as you turn it.If I were buying my first motor,or could only afford one motor,this would be it.They are light and portable and will come as close to absolute boat control as you can get with a outboard.peewee-williams

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i guess it all depends on how and where you fish. i prefer a tiller for its simplicity, and the extra room where a console would be.

11. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I prefer steering wheel. It is much more comfortable and just as easy to trun. With practice you can control the boat just as easy as with a tiller. My friend has a tiller and i think he likes is. There is nothing wrong with tiller, but i prefer steering wheel. Personal opinion.