Boat steering fluid leaking

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by C2catfish, Oct 9, 2005.

1. C2catfish

C2catfish New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    I have a 1996 Playcraft which has leaking steering fluid which seems to come from inside the wheel housing itself. As the pics will show, there is no leakage at the fittings on the backside of the unit.

How hard is it to take the assembly apart? Would it be a relatively simple task for a somewhat mechanically inclined, but really slow boat owner to fix this?

Any help would be appreciated.

C2

Attached Files:

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There is no taking it apart and fixing it. If the fittings are not leaking then it's a seal.

Replacing steering helm is not hard, just very expensive. Go to the Sea Star site for directions on bleeding the unit after you change it. You'll need help doing this.

Usually a book of instructions and 2 qts of fluid come with a new steering head.

Mark your lines as to where they fit before taking it apart.

3. C2catfish

C2catfish New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    Thanks for the info BP.

C2

4. C2catfish

C2catfish New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    A little research of the Sea Star Helm Pump showed a seal kit is available and can be installed in a matter of minutes.

$37.08 - 1-HS5176 Seal Kit For Seastar HH52771/72/61/63
    Compare at $39.40
    Part # HS5176

Good thing I checked this out.

Would have cost me over $460.00 if I hadn't

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Well, I guess I missed the seal kit. I've never been handed one and was always instructed to replace the pump.

When you replace the seals, teach me something. I said it before, I don't know it all.