Boat starter

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by heavyduty, Dec 28, 2006.

1. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    The United Technologies starters are very good starters and they are O.E. for alot of small engine and marine OB engine manufacturers.

There is some poor quality cheap stuff out there but the UT starters are good and the reason the dealers are alot higher priced than the one you found on that site is because that business is an Alternator & Starter specialty company and buys a much greater amount of them and can give better prices.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    have you considered getting the starter rebuilt?
    i priced one for my 70hp merc and it was in the 230-250 price range. I went and had it totally rebuilt for $40.

3. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    and that came with 1yr waranty. I would check the local starter and alternator places and see if they can do anything for you.

4. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    mechanics that rebuild car starters can and will rebuild a boat starter. it took 4 hrs of waiting on mine

5. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    You can check with your local alternator and starter shops and you can prolly get it for the same price if not cheaper and wont have to pay shippin and handlin.
    I mainly rebuild the starters here, but if its an old Prestolite starter and sounds like it prolly is, then it is better to buy the new UT starter because when they go bad they are cheaper to rebuild than the old Prestolites and alot of the parts for the Prestolites have been discontinued.

The UT starter is better designed and alot more waterproof, just an all around better starter than the Prestolite.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The thing you have to remember is these guys are trying to earn a living. I'd be happy to sale anyone a $100.00 starter for $280.00 or so. The suggestions of having the starter rebuilt is your best way to go.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Hans post the model number off that motor I might just have what you are looking for in a good starter without the big bucks.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I'll run both parts numbers this afternoon and get back to you.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It don't matter how old it is.... it can be rebuilt cheaper than you can replace it. When they start getting really old, the price skyrockets. Get it rebuilt.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Hans sorry to say but mine is for a 1975 135 h/p. The numbers say it won't fit.