Boat speeds

Discussion in 'Boating' started by ncfowler, Feb 18, 2007.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    when i got my boat a few year ago the speed was impressive at i was able to hit 50 gps speeds with no problems, as the years progressed the top end speed had fallen off as much as 10 mph, i know some of this is due to prop damage, but even with a new prop the speed is just not as it was, i expected some drop in top end. i have played around with diffrent prop pitch but found that the one the marina set me up with is the best setup for me, now that i am going on year 4 with my boat it has leveled out to an avg top end speed of 40 mph gps. just a thought any one see this with there rigs

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mines dropped 2-3mph since it was new. of coarse i also seem to find something else i need in the boat and never take anything out either. i also see a big differnece in performance in differnet times of the year summer/winter and on differnt weather patterns also but not that much. from what i have seen changing props can help some if you willing to spend several hundred dollars on a performace props. just not worth it to me. you might gain back 2-3 mph for under a thousand. wax is cheaper.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Check the prop it may need to by worked over and sharpend up this will help with your speed.

4. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My top end speed (WAO) is in direct relation to the amount of BOB, (beer on board). On a typical outing with myself and my two brothers our usual BOB payload will be somewhere in the neighborhood of around 36 cans and two large bags of ice. Now as the day wears on and our BOB payload decreases......it can be expected to see our WAO limits creep back up to pre BOB limits or around 16 mph. Its safe to say we are built for comfort ...not speed.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jeff, I'm curious. What kind of boat/size motor do you have, and how old is it? It's common for hulls to accumulate scum and such, even barnacles in salt water, hulls can sometimes become water-logged, even in fiberglass boats, adding extra weight (which Foxhound referred to). The engine has ?? hours of running. When was the last tuneup? Have you tried running an additive such as "sea foam" through the system to decarbon? Most important, are you turning the same rpm's that you used to? If so, the problem may be in the prop (is it the same brand/style/size as the original?), or some of the other items I mentioned above. Good luck, and let us know, please, if you find out what's going on.

6. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    After duck season i bring my boat in for it yearly checkup. I told them about the loss of speed, while doing there check up they found 3 things which causes some speed loss 1, my injectors had a build up on them this is the biggie, second my fule filter had trash in it no biggie and last my plugs were pretty mucked up, so after getting my injectors cleanded and filter and plugs changed out i should get most of my loss of speed back, i still have the prop damage but that will be taken care of when i put my new prop on,
    also they suggested that i run injector cleaner everyonce and a while in the summer to keep the build up down. with my oil change, and all the other stuff the bill came to a wopping $250.00 i am defiantaly in the wrong business.

7. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    I had a lowe boat 18foot with floataion.In 3years that crap sucked up so much sand and organic gunk that it was as heavy as bricks.U might check it,Added at least 300 to 400# to the boat ,a sure way to cut speed.