Boat speeds

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by JAYNC, Mar 20, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I was wondering how my boat compares to other boats of the same size speed wise. I have a 17' Triton duck boat with a 75hp 4 stroke mercury, the boat is a semi v hull. The fastest I have been able to go was 44mph is this a good speed, or is it slow compared to a simular powered bass boat.

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    sounds about right. I have 2- 18' jons with 40 horses and they will run about 30-34, one is bored out and runs a bit better. On the other end our 20' jon w/135 optimax runs 62. Id say you are just about right on the money though man

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I run a 1860 Smoker craft with 90/65 jet and have hit 55 . but if it only got 25 that would be ok as long as I got there and bad thats the big thing. Coming back to the ramp by trolling motor sucks been there done that.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    my tracker bass boat is 18 foot with a 60 merc 2 stroke it will run at 40 to 42 wot with just the wife and i and our gear. my ranger will run at 95 havnt taken it any faster then that so i would say your in the right range for your combo there too.

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    how are you guys clocking your speed. gps will get you close to acurate.radar will get you dead on acurate there isnt one boat speedometer out of a hundred that will get close to the correct mph.

6. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    95 mph wow................makes me think of the commercial with the two guys boat riding and there clothes are being wind sheared off them.....

7. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My 1988 16' Ozark with a 40 hp will go 26 mph with a full load and 29 empty. Checked it with gps and that is very much the same. If I put 3 people in it and have it loaded, I'm very lucky to plane.

8. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Don't know much about it but the guy who sold me my 75 hp Mariner said he put on a prop that would get me out of the hole almost as fast as the 115 HP Merc (that came apart) on take off. He said that there would only be about 5 mph difference on top end. So with that in mind, I would venture to say that the prop could make lots of difference.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    er, with all that speed, have you by chance confused cat fishing with bass fishing. How fast do you have to go to set still?

10. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    My boat is so slow you could light 3 cigarettes with the same wet match while drinking beer and peeing off the back deck..

Just kidding. I've got a 17' Spectrum with a 40 Mariner that'll do 38 by gps...

Lucas:cool:

11. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Slabmaster I run mine agaisnt the gps whic is close enough for me scary thing is my speedo on my tracker is dead on with the gps and the speedo on my ranger is 1 mph slow according to my gps.

12. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I have a 1756 XPress with a 50 Nissan. At WOT I can run about 30mph per gps. At 5000rpm, I cruise about 26-28. I would say that you are in the right range for the motor and boat size. The prop does make a bit of difference as does the load and distribution.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Let me guess the ranger has a new 500 Hp motor on it? Man theres people with bullets and 300 HP offshore motors that would love to run that fast.
    And there hulls weight half of a ranger.
    have a great day.
    Pete

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I'd like to know what that Ranger has on the back of it too! I have a 20' Hydrasports with a 225 Johnson that peaks around 70. 95mph on the water, that's fast!

15. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Wow, 95 mph on water, not me. I have a Lowe 1648 jon boat with a Nissan 9.9 and checking it with the gps it runs about 23-24 mph and is fast enough for me.

16. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    I just have to say it. I've never caught a fish moving faster than about 4 or 5 MPH. The main thing is NOT how fast it will go, but how efficient it is. I have a 22 ft. deck boat that will run 40 MPH, but most of the time it runs just fast enough to get it on plane and hold it, 28 MPH. The comments I used to get with my 202 Champion 225 Hp was WOW! I'll bet shes fast. The comments I get with with my deck boat is, "That sure is a nice fishing boat, got her rigged nice to. Which one do you think I like to hear most??????

17. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    44 sounds good to me for a 75 hp. i had an 18ft deep v with a 65 hp merc on it and after waxing the hull got about 35. lol went fishin with a guy that had a
    21 ft with twin 200's on it. he hit 55 at half throttle n that was fast enough fer me lol. actually, my 14ft jon boat with 5hp johnson goes fast enough for me.

18. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    I must not be paddling fast enough cause I can only get 2-3 mph out of her. I keep wondering why, I must need bigger/faster paddles.:cool:
    Lucas

19. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The speedometer in both of my boats is off by several MPH - they both read faster than the GPS shows. So I don't put any faith in the gauges.

My Procraft 200 Combo with the 200 hp Merc will get up to a little over 60 mph on the GPS. And that's plenty fast.

Still trying to find the perfect prop for my new boat (Xpress HD18SC), but the 60 hp Yamaha 4-stroke will push it to about 34 mph currently at WOT.

20. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well my boat is new only hit water 5 times so far and is 1 mhp slower then my gps shows by the speedometer.