Boat Size (James River)

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by WHEELMOBILE07, Sep 20, 2006.

1. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    What is the smallest boat size and motor size that you would be able to safely get away with on the james on a day when the weather is good? Itching to get to the james several time this fall.

Wheelmobile07

2. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I know there are times when a small boat and motor are ideal, but sometimes you use what you got. I have fished the James from Osbourne Landing before out of my 14ft Lowe Jonboat with 4.5hp Johnson. I went because I had the chance and my 16ft tri hull was broke down. Like in all situations you just have to watch yourself for other boat traffic. Pick your days if you are in a smaller vessel. Mon thru Thurs always has less boat traffic than the weekends, making it safer in a small boat. Send me a private message and we'll hook up some time. I'll meet you at the ramp and we'll fish. I have a 16ft tri-hull with a 70hp and it will scoot along pretty good. I have to go now but let me know if you are interested. Later for now---jonnycat

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    We have a 14ft V-Bottom with a 35hp, that's the smallest boat I could see myself in on that river, mostly because of the other boats that are out there.

4. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    I would at go with a 14 foot deep v if you are on the main river channel.They get some barge and freighters going there that put off a big wake and also the wind can make for a nice chop to.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, got to watch out for those Barges, they definitely put off a monster wake.