Boat set up

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by JohnC, May 31, 2006.

1. JohnC

JohnC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 14 foot jon boat that is almost ready to paint and completely open(benches removed). What would be the ideal set up for a cat rig? I am planning to put a floor in it as well as adding some foam for flotation. Also planning to use a 70 quart cooler for a livewell. It will have 9.9 for power because most of the lakes around have a 10hp limit. What else would you add? I open to suggestions so fire away!

Thanks,John

2. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    My flatbottom is 16' with no center seat. I thought about adding lots of stuff and had a 70 qt cooler for a bait box. I now use a smaller one for more room and us a plastic SUV box from Wal-Mart for my junk. Seems like I added things and took them out. I like the trolling motor and am going to install a fish finder on it. 3 PVC rod holders. Just add a little at a time, take the boat out and see how you like it and figure what would make it easier for the way you fish. My $.02 worth. Oh, yeah, cleats on the rail are nice. An extra plug is good. An extention on the tiller handle is nice.
    Jim

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    First, set down and look at your design. Small jon boats do not have a very high weight capacity. If you figure the weight of everything you add to the boat, the fuel tank, the motor, trolling motor and battery, your fishing equipment and yourself, you may be close to its maximum weight all ready. Of course we all know you can exceed these maximums, as they don't mean anything, at least to a bunch of dead men who did ignore them.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Well something that wouldn't take up much weight would be some rod holders. I'd probably mount two towards the back and one on each side of the boat. I'd also want some kind of covered box to keep gear out of the elements. One more thing would be rod storage. All of that stuff should be able to be added with out adding tons of weight.

5. JohnC

JohnC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the replys. I don't think weight will be an issue. It had a floor and a 25 hp motor on it. I also removed 2 side pods that had no purpose other than flotation. It had styrofoam that was in really poor condition. I need some kind of storage for all the junk you carry. I like the SUV box idea. Its cheap and easy. I also think the rod holders are a must. I want to keep it open as possible. It has a 5 foot beam so I have enough room to play with. Thanks again for the ideas.

John

6. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    John, I'd definately add a trolling motor, a depth (fish) finder and a q-beam light you can hook to the troll mtr battery.

For rod holders I have a set of the old vinyl covered steel gun racks from an old pick-up I had (my boat does double duty as a duck hunting rig)

To minimize future pains in the butt I would compartmentalize everything possible.
    Go with a nice size box but put all the little stuff (tools etc) into their own small boxes in there...you could even label them with a magic marker.

7. JohnC

JohnC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was planning a trolling motor. I was planning a foot controlled. The only problem is the cables are not very long. I have a few options but trolling motors can be pricey. I also seen that cabelas sells gun boxes that mount on the side. I may go that route. I culd store lots of the little things in those. I still need something big enough for life vest and anchors. A good fishfinder is in the plans also. I need to do some research and find out what I need.

John

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    AWSHUCKS,good one!:lol:

9. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I've got a 14ft that I will never sell. One of the best tips I can give you is buy a couple of black plastic pipes. One for each side of your boat. I think mine are 3in.(?) Make one cut the full length of your pipe. Spread the pipe out enough to fit over the top rail from the transom to the bow. Stuff EVERY wire from running lights to what ever you add under that pipe. No one trips, no gear gets tangled, no wires get broken, no need for screws to hold the pipe, it just works. I think that and a junction box for all connections has made my little john very comfortable.
    Don

10. Johnny316

Johnny316 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    That is what I need is a junction box but need some ideas on how to built one.

11. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    It will take time for you to set your boat up right for you
    even when you think its perfect youll find something little to make it better
    or just move something to the otherside and improve the whole boat.

:0a26: :0a22: